Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering shaft flex coupling turned

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Say...a funny thing happened on the way to the barber's...
Not really, but that sounds like a better lead in than what I've got! A few words from the wise would be appreciated here, guys. After reinstalling the steering gear, but before tightening things down, I noticed the steering column flex coupling/clamp had turned 180 degrees as I was attatching the gear input shaft. The steering wheel was locked and belted, wheels straight, and the pitman arm had not yet been attatched. Think it matters? Or...would it be advisable to take the arm and gear back off completely, and start over? Being a neophite, both ways seems the right answer! Ahhhhh....and to think I do this to relax!!!

Fellro

Staff member
That is about the only thing, the steering wheel will be upside down.

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
good to know...

Thanks...now at least I know I won't be driving sideways or something... I don't know how I let it slip, but I haven't corrected it yet. I'm not looking forward to arguing with that Pitman arm on the steering gear again. :(

Thanks...now at least I know I won't be driving sideways or something... I don't know how I let it slip, but I haven't corrected it yet. I'm not looking forward to arguing with that Pitman arm on the steering gear again. :(

Just remove the steering wheel David and turn it 180 deg - on my gen 8 its only a couple of screws to remove the hornpad and then the centre nut and just a small set of pullers to take the wheel off ....... much more fun to swear and curse while sitting on your butt in the truck than scrabbling around on the pavement under your truck

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Is that all there is???

Turn the wheel around?!? Thanks for the idea, Mark... Now, as long as I won't be eating the air bag, all should be well with the Little Lady's ride. :beer:

Ford Truck Articles