Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering column/shifter help needed

Stoner Dan

California Chapter member
Hey, guys--I was replacing the turn signal/flasher unit in my steering column today. Got it all back together (even got my horn working again, too), bolted the steering wheel back down, went to start it and no start. All the flashers, signals, electric seemed to be working, but no ignition.

So, I thought maybe I had messed up something in the parking lockout in the shifter and sure enough, something was binding when I tried to shift it from Park to Rev. So, I took it all apart again, repositioned the shift collar, put it back together and when I went to do a test shift, something broke and now there's no shift stops at all! I have the little aluminum piece that broke off and fell out onto the floor, but can't figure out where it actually came from.

Does it sound like I broke something in either the shift collar or the column flange? Maybe I should just order new replacement pieces from LMC for both. But my second question is, could I have brokent something in the shift tube, itself? That tube looks fairly simple and it sure does sound like I broke something in either the collar or the flange, but I thought I'd check here, first. See if maybe somebody had gone through something similar.

Anyway, I appreciate the help. I'd like to exhaust the possibilities before I have it towed to a shop...

Could it be that the linkage popped out? No stops sounds like it's not connected.

By linkage I mean under the hood where the shifter hooks to the linkage that runs down to the tranny.

The NSS NUB in the steering column is known to break

The quick fix is to set the NSS switch in the Park or Nuetral position..shown here

The long term fix is to replace the NSS parts

NSSscrew.jpg

Stoner Dan

From what I can tell, I broke the "finger" part of this part here –– the NSS, like you said, Mil1ion. Where is that thing located on the column?

Last edited:
7B097 = D0TZ-7B097-A

Lever transmission control selector (Neutral)

NONTiltcolumn2.jpg

Last edited:

Stoner Dan

That's it, Mil1ion! So, the fact that this piece just broke--would that prevent the truck from starting?

Last edited:
The job of the NSS is to stop or allow current from the ignition switch to flow through it to the S terminal of the starter relay.

It will only allow current to pass through the switch in either Park or Neutral position.

Stoner Dan

Got it all back together and I ordered a $12.00 pin from Dennis Carpenter (which was a H3LL of a lot cheaper than LMC's $40+ version). I manually held the switch and sure enough, she started right up.

Do these things break when the steering shaft moves against the static pin? I'd heard of these things breaking in the past, but I always thought they were up in the column near the steering wheel. Well, at least I know how all this stuff works now, thanks to your help, boys. LOVE this board!

I just ordered one from DC as well

Plus some door sill plates.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I figured I'd bring up the topic again of trying to add one of those NSS to a later column. I have a 79 tilt column. I don't have a spot on the transmission to mount a NSS. I hate not having a NSS on the truck.

I would get a tweaked 78/79 ..C6 for the truck

Call tranny shops to see of they have any walk-a-way C6's

Some people take them in for repair and end up walking away from them because of the cost.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
^^^ Ya, that was my second option if the column thing is too difficult or impossible to do. But than again, I'm not happy with the place who rebuilt my tranny to begin with. I have a few leaks that I'm not happy about. I wouldn't have thought that a rebuilt tranny just sitting on the floor for 6 months until I got it in would start to leak. sorry bout the rant. So, I should just get a differ C6.

Yep and have a performance Transmission shop tweak it.

Look around for racing shops. they can make it even more bullet proof

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1965/77 F100/350 NSS Selector Lever.

7B097 = D0TZ-7B097-A [confused] .. NSS Control Selector Lever.
D0TZ-7B097-B (replaced: D0TZ-7B097-A & C5TZ-7B097-A) / Obsolete

Fits: 1965/77 F100/350 // What's the difference between D0TZ-A & B? Nothing.

In the late 1980's, Ford changed the package quantity of 1000's of parts and when the idiots did that, they changed the part numbers SUFFIX!

This rendered all the previous numbers obsolete and has cost Ford mil1ions :) of $$$ because most partsguys in today's world are unaware, think parts are obsolete. So...don't look in the O-S-I catalogs to find new numbers.

And...most of these part number changes are not listed in 1973/79 Car/Truck parts catalogs, cuz the final printing of these catalogs occured before the numbers were changed.

While obsolete, there are dozens of these levers still available at FoMoCo Dealers/obsolete parts vendors.

For example:

TOM HILLER FORD in Escalon CA (near Fresno) has 1 = 209-838-3535.

WOLFE FORD in Lidgerwood ND has 6 = 701-538-7337.

JST AUTOMOTIVE in Lebanon TN has 6 = 615-443-3086.

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has 26 = 800-543-4959 / 513-731-3304.

And...in addition to these puppies, there are 89 more scattered across the US...mostly at FoMoCo Dealers.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles