Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starter solenoid fits...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Today I decided to go out and move my truck back to the shop.I hook the battery up,and give the truck a few pumps,and turn the key.All I get is the solenoid click.So,I break out the battery jumper thinking the battery is running low on juice.Hook it up,same old solenoid click.So,I decide to see if I can jump the solenoid with a screwdriver.Once again,solenoid click.So now I think my solenoid is giving me fits.I don't really think it's the battery,just because I rarely run the truck,and it's never given me a problem any other time it sits for a period of time.The solenoid is 30 years old(yes it's the original Motrocraft),so i've been waiting for the day it dies.Is it finally dead?Or is it something else?Thanks in advance.

Shaun

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
bad ground somewhere probly check those first ....make sure all the connections are tight....

Well,the previous owner removed my Engine to frame ground,and my engine to firewall ground straps,however it never kept the truck from starting before.I checked everything and all the connections were tight,but I guess checking again won't hurt.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I've already replaced that.That's why this is so hard to find.Just about everything in the starting system has been replaced in the truck.When I last drove the truck and parked it,it started just fine.I didn't really do anything to the truck.This is really the first time i've touched the truck for about 2 months.:rotz:

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Well,I picked up a replacement solenoid today.I threw it on,and tried it.Nothing.It won't click or make any noise at all.So i'm guessing it's not the solenoid.I'm gonna take the battery to the auto parts store to have it checked,and if it turns out bad,i'll replace it and see if that works.If that doesn't work,then I don't know what i'll do.I'm getting kinda frustrated with this truck.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
900 and it's yours.lol.j/k.But seriously,if I can't get this thing to run,i'm gonna look into selling it,and then buy something that I can actually drive.With the money it'll take to get this thing running,I might as well just use the money and buy something that already runs.

But will do man.Thanks.

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
The only other thing that I can think of that might be wrong if the battery checks out ok, is the starter itself.

Remove the starter, and take it to your local auto parts store and have it tested.

They should do it for free.

Almost forgot, does your truck have the ignition switch on the column?

If so, there is a relay box that is mounted on top of the lower part of the steering column, up under the dash.

It is the ignition relay, and if it goes out, you will have the same problems that you are describing.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Don't write off a dead starter. I've gone through 3 in the past 5-6 years I've driven my truck. The aftermarket ones sometimes SUCK. I think I finally got one that won't die for a while.

Ryan

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I paid 80 bucks for that sucker,so it better not be the problem.lol.But if it is i'll just return it.I'm hoping it's the battery.I'm getting kinda confident that it's the battery though.I keep forgetting that the battery is rated at 330 cca's,however I think the truck requires 310 cca's.So maybe that's my problem.I have a bigger battery,but it needs a charge.I'd charge that one up and throw it in,however I still have a drain in my charging system,so it'll just drain out.

perhaps all those times using a screwdriver rather than a REMOTE STARTER cause the relay to fail ?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts