Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Start up concerns

well i just changed my oil yesterday. i used a different brand of filkter and different brand of oil, same weight though. I used the Napa gold filter and napa 10w-40 oil as opposed to castrol 10w-40 and fram tough guard filter.

ive been noticing now that it starts as if the filter is empty after its been sitting for an hour, pressure slowly comes up, i dont remember this ever happening before.

now this mornin i had to move my truck, i started it up, pressure came up, but the engine started to rev at below 500 rpm and stayed there til i hit the gas... any idea why its doing this? it almost seemed like it was going to stall.. i dont get what the f*&% is going on

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Uhh... Simple solution--- go back to the stuff that WORKED.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix'it."

And might I suggest that you use a Motorcraft filter (doesn't cost any more than Fram at Wal-Mart)... Castrol (GTX I assume) is good oil-- you should have stuck with that.

Last edited:
The NAPA oil filter is a Wix and NAPA oil is Valvoline...

supposidly the napa gold is the best, not y i chose it....

so do you think i should swap back? i didnt change on purpose, its just what i was able to get at work..

ive gotten that weird idle before the oil change, but never the pressure issue...

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i had that problem when i used Bosch filter.. dry starts in the morning.. switched back to motorcraft and no problems.. the oil isnt that big of an issue the filter is!

i had that problem when i used Bosch filter.. dry starts in the morning.. switched back to motorcraft and no problems.. the oil isnt that big of an issue the filter is!

that makes me feel better, glad im not the only one who expierienced this.. ill grab a filter at work tomorow

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I put a motorcraft filter in my truck one time...and sorry guys but I will never do it again...i had the same results he did......I went back to my pure one filter PH1A and won't switch it ever again....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I put a motorcraft filter in my truck one time...and sorry guys but I will never do it again...i had the same results he did......I went back to my pure one filter PH1A and won't switch it ever again....
Well I've seen COUNTLESS guys these forums (as I'm sure you have too) attest to the fact that they've had great luck with Motorcraft filters. So I think you're the exception, not the rule :p

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Im with JR ive had probs with the Motorcraft ones. Just use what you like thats what it comes down to. 200k on friends jeep, all fram filters. 210 on my mazda combo of fram/defence(its what we use at work)

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ha that just made me laugh. Its all opinion.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Me neither. Two thumbs down to Fram.

Motorcraft makes the best filters, hands down. If you had a bad experience, then you got a defective filter.

I get that if I had a Fram filter on it. Truck would make scraping sounds when starting w/ a Fram filter. Bought it and saw that infamous orange cylindrical filter. Yanked it right out. No more scraping. This happens to every car I have owned stuck with a Fram.

I used to use Motorcraft, but since went to Mobil 1 filters.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I find it difficult to be overly critical of Fram filters- my truck ran them more or less exclusively for it's first 200k miles. I've been putting Motorcraft in it since I got it, and 50k miles later, it still runs good.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Its a give and take .

Last 2 truck I bought with bad motors at 120000 both had fully documented oil changes from For dealer and motorcraft filters .

And 3 changes after I started using a Motorcraft filter in mine it started to do as described.

But I had and know of several 300000 miles motors fram only .

So its use what want and be happy .

Michigan
Wait... Wasn't everyone saying in another thread how inaccurate these oil pressure gauges are?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts