Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Spot an 1980

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Tyl looks like a good buy. If it is a F100 it might have a swiss cheese frome but they are light and great for a DD and really light hauling. Check the frame and usual stuff.

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
You've warned me pretty god bout those chassis, but what about the engine combo?

25,000km on rebuilt 302, Edelbrock 4bl carb, Offenhauser alum intake, auto trans

Tyl

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
You've warned me pretty god bout those chassis, but what about the engine combo?

25,000km on rebuilt 302, Edelbrock 4bl carb, Offenhauser alum intake, auto trans

Tyl

302 are a great engine if rebuilt properly you should have no problems,just look for leaks you can always tell valve cover leaks over main seals listen to how well it runs. Check the rad and oil before starting,if the owner started it an ran it before getting there just check it extra close,it's all everyday stuff to look for.

If you hear unusual noises check to see where they are coming from. I would think the biggest problem will be rust issues these trucks are tough.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
...if the owner started it an ran it before getting there just check it extra close...

One thing I've done, is when going to look at a vehicle tell the seller that I want to see it on a cold start...

tylstruck

That truck on Kiji already sold. Still can't get ahold of the guy with the auto trader ad. Probably also sold, that's why he won't return my calls.

The search continues. Haven't sold my truck yet.

Tyl

andym

Real men are fanatics
One thing about the early F-100 bolt patterns. Some F-100's did have the 5 x 5 bolt pattern (they didn't go to metric rims on the F-150 until 1997, BTW) if they had manual brakes. If the truck had power brakes, it got the same 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern as every other F-150.

Also, 1985 *was* the first year for EFI on the F-series, but only for the 302, and it was an option. You could get both. 1986 was all EFI for the 302.

One thing about the early F-100 bolt patterns. Some F-100's did have the 5 x 5 bolt pattern (they didn't go to metric rims on the F-150 until 1997, BTW) if they had manual brakes. If the truck had power brakes, it got the same 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern as every other F-150.

Also, 1985 *was* the first year for EFI on the F-series, but only for the 302, and it was an option. You could get both. 1986 was all EFI for the 302.

I thught EFI was on the 300 first and on the V8s later? My uncle has a 1985 Carbed Bronco with a 300, but I have seen plenty of 87+ with EFI. I believe it was 87 for the 300 and 88 for the 302 and 351, and 89 for the 460.

andym

Real men are fanatics
No, the 302 got it first in 1985. You're right about the others, except I think the 460 was also in 1988. Could be wrong about that but I'm 100% on the others.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
No, the 302 got it first in 1985. You're right about the others, except I think the 460 was also in 1988. Could be wrong about that but I'm 100% on the others.

Andy you are right about the 302 getting the EFI first mine is s 85 factory option and built in Canada

tylstruck

Think I'd like to put a sunroof on it. I do know the weatherstrip must be tight on them. Anmy pros and cons about sunroofs on cars oooor this type of truck?

I've never had a vehicle with a sunroof on it.

Tyl

tylstruck

What do you think?

Ford F100 with 460 automaticwith only 10000 km on eninge, chrome air cleaner and valve covers. Newer grey interior carpet & seats. Power brakes, Power steering. Alpine CD player, aluminum tool box. Truck is clean and solid, winter stored, needs brake work, but will certify if requested. Asking $5,500. Must Sell, Make an offer.

d8c2_20.jpg

It is a gorgeous truck. My concerns are the F100 chassis, and the big for nothing 460. The owner switched the grill and hood from an '85. I am thinking if I bought this, I can swap the chassis to a shortbox 302 or 300 or 351 auto F150 chassis.

What is the gvw on a F100 chassis?

What do you think?

Tyl

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
What do you think?

Ford F100 with 460 automaticwith only 10000 km on eninge, chrome air cleaner and valve covers. Newer grey interior carpet & seats. Power brakes, Power steering. Alpine CD player, aluminum tool box. Truck is clean and solid, winter stored, needs brake work, but will certify if requested. Asking $5,500. Must Sell, Make an offer.

d8c2_20.jpg

It is a gorgeous truck. My concerns are the F100 chassis, and the big for nothing 460. The owner switched the grill and hood from an '85. I am thinking if I bought this, I can swap the chassis to a shortbox 302 or 300 or 351 auto F150 chassis.

What is the gvw on a F100 chassis?

What do you think?

Tyl

Did you look at the frame? But the 460 should be no problem. What kind of hauling you talking about? F100 has the lowest GVRW.

I would not turn it down it looks to be clean as a pin and Flaresides are rare. You like it for a DD buy it.

tylstruck

Goodness me, Clifford, you sure like to spend it. For the work done to it, I cannot find another truck and do it all for $5,500/asking price.

Kelly, the owner, says it was an inline 300 before he put the 460 in. Not sure what prompted him to do so. Says he spends $70 to refuel it. Refused to say how often he fills it or the mpg status.

Truck iiis a good 2 hrs from me, if the F100 chassis, I bet the torque alone on that 460 shifted and/or broke that chassis.

I like a truck to haul junk, especially my scooter most times but a truck to tow and haul extra weight while looking grand all at once.

Tyl

If you find the small truck called a ranger in 81, grab it!

The ranger name goes way back. My uncle had a F-100 ranger in the early 70s. No clue when it started. It was a top of the line fancy package thing back then on the full size trucks.

I did!!!! Had ranger emblem on hood and on rear of bed.
F100 !Bought this one for my son. Original owner. We had it painted and added some things to make it right.

before:

CalebNewtruck7-08andsink038.jpg

CalebNewtruck7-08andsink083.jpg

After:

Painted032.jpg

Painted035.jpg

CalebNewtruck7-08andsink046.jpg

Painted033.jpg

Shane

I did!!!! Had ranger emblem on hood and on rear of bed.
F100 !Bought this one for my son. Original owner. We had it painted and added some things to make it right.

Shane

Wow shane. :D

That looks really nice, I mean really nice. YelloThumbUp

Great truck, Your son must be very happy. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts