Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

So long Transmission...

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Took my truck in this morning to get the shaking fixed that has been going on for the last 3 weeks ,posted a thread about it here:
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4993
Bring you up to speed , I replaced the last 2 u-joints on the shaft , not the one by the tranny , in hopes that would fix the problem , but no dice , shaking was still there.
Got a call about 4pm , telling me my Tranny is going south in a hurry, gonna get it rebuilt or get another rebuilt one put in. I trust my mechanic he hasn't let me down so far , hoping to get it back soon. The Tranny has 186K on it ,so it has lived a good life , far more than most have ( E4OD).
RIP tranny :(

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Whoa crap! I wonder if the shift kit had anything to do with it, or a mistake made by the installers... Wasn't it perfectly healthy before?

Michigan
aaaaaaaaa man sorry to hear buddy. Hope it can get fixed right and you can be back to drivin it again.

andym

Real men are fanatics
186k is at the top end of the life expectancy of an E4OD.

Mine has 137k on it... and it's one of the early, failure-prone ones. So far so good, but it won't be too long before it goes.

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Mike please don't tell me this my poor truck has 153500 on her, I know the E4OD is a complicated mess, but I didn't realize that 186K was a long life span. smiliecrybaby

You might get lucky , some have lived to 235K and beyond, only time will tell. Thing to do is change fluid every 50K and the filter as well is what I was told.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I hate to say it but every 100000 miles e4od I have tried to change the fluid or have shift kit put in has died on me. Any more if the tranny has 120000 The average for these according to tranny shop for my very hilly area. . And has not had fluid filter change I just run it .

I went through 4 in a 3 year period . Lawsuit and $7500 later I got a good tranny . Well one that has lasted 20000 miles so far.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts