Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

so i'm confused on something

my tdc on my pulley is the number 6 cylinder on the dizzy. the only thing i've done was bumped the timing up a few degrees. it ran fine before and was all lined up. but somehow the pulley and dizzy are way off. how do i fix it?

The crankshaft is tdc while the dizzy is pointing to number 6. My dad said that it jumped time or is there something else

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I guess I need to post a lil more detail..

there are 2 TDC's. compression (where you base timing off of), and exhaust. when on exhaust your dizzy will be 180° out.

it wouldn't jump 180° out of time unless ya majorly broke something..

IOW, turn the crank another revolution then check it.

it wouldn't start today it would pop once the crank. i would bump the timing try again it would pop then just crank did that a few more times then backed off the timing and it wouldn't even pop anymore just cranked.

Fellro

Staff member
The crank makes 2 revolutions per 1 turn of the crank, so in order to do a full 4 stroke cycle, the timing mark of the pulley passes the pointer 2 times per cycle. So what everyone is trying to say is that when the pointer and the pulley timing mark are set with the distributor, which is a 1:1 with the cam, NOT the crank, you are only half way through the cycle. You must turn the crank one more time to get all the way through the cycle. At that point, you should be seeing the distributor rotor point at the #1 terminal.

When adjusting the timing, you need to know which way you are turning the distributor in relation to the rotation. If you rotate towards the direction the rotor is turning from, you are advancing the timing. If you turn it with the direction of rotation, you are retarding the timing. With it having been disturbed without knowing a baseline, you will have to use a timing light to know where it should be. There are plenty of things that can make it pop and not fire.

yeah i understand what your saying i thought the dizzy and crank rotated the same it makes since now. i just need to turn it over once more and get the dizzy set.

If the dizzy has been removed and the crank turned,you will have to confirm the number 1 piston at TDC power stroke....confirm with timing mark...then position the rotor pointing to number one.

I presume it was running before you made adjustments?

If so, unless you pulled the dizzy there shouldn't be much wrong.

Sometimes the harmonic balanced has slipped on the rubber insulator causing major timing and running issues.

it ran okay. it was goofy when it first starts up and at high speeds so i was gonna try bumping the timing up and seeeing if it improved then try going down. but i accidently turned it just enough to keep it from firing then couldn't get it set after that. i will try tomorrow when i get home and i just bought a nice big battery today so that will help a lot

the only thing that confused me and got me thinking i ruined something was the crank at tdc and the rotor on cylinder 6 so i gave up thinking the timing chain or so ething was bad. but i should get it back fairly easy now.

ended up making a trip to spokane so i got a new alternator, voltage regulator, heater core, heater hose, amd didn't get a voltage connector because nobody had them in stock. so hopefully tomorrow i can go out and set the timing again. maybe i will make a make shift lean to out of a tarp and a few ratchet straps.

got about 8 inches of snow today and still snowing like crazy

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts