Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Snow Plow On Truck? Use for Business?

Been googling this, and no definite answers yet. Wondering about putting a snow plow on my 74 f350 and using for winter business. Worth it? Legal? State is NC, can't find info yet. State plows major roads and interstates in city limits, but plenty to plowing needed else where. May not be worth it, but thought throwing it out there might get some thoughts on the idea.

Trying to come up with other winter truck work ideas (xmas trees already one idea).

Fellro

Staff member
Plows are rough on trucks, but there are plenty out there doing it. As you noted, there are plenty of parking lots and personal drives that need done on occasion. Getting one and a mount can be expensive too. I have been looking for one for being able to do just my lane and maybe amy parents and sister, but haven't been able to grab them when they are cheap. Now that the snow has come, they won't likely be any cheap ones... I have a mount, just no plow, so I am thinking of just building my own, as it doesn't need to be as durable as the commercial ones. Getting a mount for your truck could be the next issue.

Set your truck up for vehicle boosting (battery) business.
Low cost ..high profit.

Plows are really hard on a light truck.
Maintenance could be expensive.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
If you have the time to plow you mke money . I can make $300 and up just with 3 " on the ground not trying at one time I had 30 drives /lots took all day and I made over $2000 dollars

Thanks for all the replies, gives me more to think about. The plow idea would be for next winter as too late and no funds for a plow yet, and they are expensive. Just noticed the many truck jobs options decline in winter, so seeing options.

Battery boost idea is good. I don't know if my x-mas tree idea will work yet, have to wait till after thanksgiving to see how that goes. Will probably take a complete year to see what types of work people need most locally based on season.

Thinking to keep current truck as flat bed and perhaps put a snow plow on it, then get a dump truck for most other types of hauling work.

Fellro

Staff member
Watch for older DOT type trucks to come up on auction. Then you can get the heavier chassis, sometimes with the plow mounts already, maybe even a plow and you can also get the dump box as well.

Ford Truck Articles