Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shudder on Decel

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Anyone know what could cause a small shudder to be felt on deceleration?? Accelerating and cruise its smooth but if when i happen to let off it starts feeling like it has an out of balance tire.. but dont think thats it..

and its not a brake thing cuz im not pushing on the brakes when its happening.. its just like you let off the throttle completely and then feel it shimmy/shutter while its trying to slow down.

been wondering if its not a mount or u-joints that havent been replaced yet...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
mine too.. but same issue.. hard to say for sure.. i know its not a TC issue.. ive had that before in another vehicle... it would buck like a pissed off bronco in a rodeo..

i'm think carrier bearing, the rubber mounting part of it to be exact. after that u joints like super cab said. might check the rear axle mounting/ suspension as well

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
center shaft bearing was replaced about a year ago.. and actually checked it the other day.. the old one was so bad nothing was actually holding the bearing in place.. i could move it all over the place.. the new ones still as stiff as it was just after they put it in..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You sure torque converter not staying locked?
Pull codes lately?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
no codes... TC yes pretty sure.. last time i had a TC stay locked it felt like someone was ramming the back in end and would nearly stall out.. ended up just leaving it unplugged the whole time i had that thing... always hated when itd go into the shop and some "helpful" mech would plug it back in..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
?
a) cold engine
b) warm engine

*me let this ferment a smidge before asking.......

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
?
a) cold engine
b) warm engine

*me let this ferment a smidge before asking.......

gonna have to go with warm... but only because i notice it at highway speeds.. by time i get to the highway shes warmed up... and its only felt when slowing from say for example 70 - 55 or to stop (if i happen to hit one of them towns where they put a stoplight at the entrance right after the speed reduction)... dont ever seem to feel it on city street speeds..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts