Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shocks and brakes

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I was wondering how long the shocks should last on my wifes 03 explorer. I don't drive it very much but when I do it seems a little bouncy in the rear. How difficult is it to change them.

As for the brakes it's actually the e-brake. It's not working or not working very well anyway. When it was at the dealer last they said it needed new rear brake shoes. What's a good price to pay for this or how difficult is it to replace them.

Anyone want to teach a rookie a few things? YelloThumbUp

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I was wondering how long the shocks should last on my wifes 03 explorer. I don't drive it very much but when I do it seems a little bouncy in the rear. How difficult is it to change them.

As for the brakes it's actually the e-brake. It's not working or not working very well anyway. When it was at the dealer last they said it needed new rear brake shoes. What's a good price to pay for this or how difficult is it to replace them.

Anyone want to teach a rookie a few things? YelloThumbUp
Shocks and other wear parts installed at the factory on new vehicles are usually crappola and don't last long. Try buying the OEM shocks on your newer vehicle, you can't. What you will get is the "optional" shocks that came with the so-called HD suspension package. When you hear the term "service parts" this means parts that weren't used at the time of assembly, but are sold over the counter.

If you have rear discs, some P-brake setups have a small drum at the rear with mini brake shoes that are used just for the parking brake. Is this the set up you have?

Last edited:
I think the 03 IRS has the same set up as mine on the E-brakes. Mine has the mini shoes. 03 is the 8.8, just broke apart.

Brake pads are real easy, not sure on the E-brake pads. Shocks on mine are easy to replace although I have not done so. Hmm....

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Shocks and other wear parts installed at the factory on new vehicles are usually crappola and don't last long.

I replaced the factory shocks on my Ranger at 218k miles (9 years old). Now, they'd had a pretty easy life for the most part (it was mostly a commuter truck, only hauling on occasion), and the shocks were SHOT when I finally replaced them, but, I still think they held up pretty well. Far better than I expect the cheapy replacements to do.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I replaced the factory shocks on my Ranger at 218k miles (9 years old). Now, they'd had a pretty easy life for the most part (it was mostly a commuter truck, only hauling on occasion), and the shocks were SHOT when I finally replaced them, but, I still think they held up pretty well. Far better than I expect the cheapy replacements to do.

'hah' Let's see, where's my piece of chalk...there it is...lemme mark you down on the blackboard as the first Ford owner I ever heard of in my 35 yrs of being a Ford partsman, who got more than 3 years out of a set of OEM factory installed shocks.

Last edited:
Mine appear to be stock on my 01 explorer. Shot...quite possibly. I need to check them. Then again.....they could be some sort of ford replacement part. The PO seems to have had ford do everything.

I only got 1 year on the old 89 ranger on the stock ones. Might not have been a year. I wheeled it hard though.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Brian, they're not shot if you can still steer when braking moderately...YelloThumbUp

blacksnapon

Staff member
Scott, the most difficult part of replacing the rear "shoes" that I have seen is removing the rotors (the shoes hang up on the ridge of rust in the drum). I have a couple of bolts that are the same thread as the caliper bolts, just longer. Thread them in the caliper bolt holes, and start to press off the rotor. Be careful not to apply too much pressure and snap off the ears. Just screw them in far enough to apply moderate pressure on the rotor, and use a hammer to break the rotor loose. When you get to the shoes, there isn't much room to release springs and keepers. Make sure you are in the shade with adequate liquid coolant substances.

AE10701PB is the part number that you want from napa for the parking brake shoes. The price is going to be probably around 30 bucks for the shoes and most napas have them in stock.
safely chock and jack the rear wheels off the ground. Pull the tires and the caliper (check the pads while you're there), and the disc will come right off. The procedure for doing the ebrake shoes is like any other drum brake from there. Just make sure to A: have both rear wheels off at the same time and B: Do not disassemble both shoe assy's at the same time; you may need to refer to one to recall how the other goes together!

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott, the most difficult part of replacing the rear "shoes" that I have seen is removing the rotors (the shoes hang up on the ridge of rust in the drum). QUOTE]
i mean not to nit pick but disks have pads, drums have shoes and if you have rotors there better not be drums. someone please correct me if i've missed an aspect of the terms.

The rear brakes employ what is called the "Drum in a hat" parking brake, a mini-drum inside the rotor housing that uses shoes. they still have disc on the outside.

It's pretty straightforward, all things being said. trickiest part is getting the measurements close and adjusting the ebrake: The disc brakes are a breeze, for the most part, but check with vince to make sure yours doesn't need that twisty-piston-compressor-thingy.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Scott, I replaced the original shocks on my 1999 Ranger at 36K miles. I replaced them with Bilsteins, and what a difference they made! I highly
recommend the Bilsteins!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
'hah' Let's see, where's my piece of chalk...there it is...lemme mark you down on the blackboard as the first Ford owner I ever heard of in my 35 yrs of being a Ford partsman, who got more than 3 years out of a set of OEM factory installed shocks.
Then you can mark me down as #2. I had a 1996 F-250 that I sold in 2006. Still had the original shocks on it. They weren't shot. And to say I was rough on the ol' gal, well, that'd be an understatement. She was in the air almost as much as she was on the ground. And when she was on the ground, she was pushed as hard as an Indy Car in corners.

I honestly can't imagine shocks taking a beating like that and lasting. Their Pistons are designed for relatively short travel, and not so much three-point-landings! Maybe you didn't notice a "bounce", as the springs don't give much when not under a load, but they certanily had lost their capacity to dampen shock, given that kind of abuse!
The shocks on my Freightliner are as big as your arm, and STILL need replacing once a year!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts