Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Seats Interchange?

I have a 1995 F350 with front bench seat, which I want to change out to individual seats. Does anyone know if anything else such as Explorer, Expedition or Excursion, or anything else uses same seat as F-series?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
IIRC, even if you stay in the F-Series, you're stuck with the bench. You can always try captains chairs out of an XLT truck, but you may have to do some modification to the brackets.

Side note, don't waste your time with Explorer seats, they sit way too low for F-Series trucks.

primetime

sawmill slave
If you have a regular cab you will probably want to find a 40-20-40 seat from a similar year truck depending on how big you are. I say this because I put gen 8 Bronco seats and console in a 91 regular cab F-150. I`m 5'10, 160 lbs, and the truck had a manual trans. It was comfortable for me, but I had the feeling that somebody who was bigger than me or liked to be farther away from the wheel wouldn`t be real comfy.

And for what it`s worth, the Bronco seats used the bench seat mounting holes on the door side, and I had to drill holes on the trans tunnel side of the seats.

Fellro

Staff member
What the aftermarket seat companies do is build a frame to bolt to out of about 1"square tube, then use the floor mounts to mount it down. That lets you do any seat you would want to use if you wanted. I have an aftermarket seat taken from a wrecked Dodge. Had to modify the frame mount to the floor a bit, but it is quite nice. Have another seat set that the seats were bad, but it had power seats and the console, kept the frame and console... Something you can also consider is take the factory tracks from a seat, build the frame to mount to them, then you can mount the seats to that frame and not worry about adjusters.

Thanks everyone. My last build was a 1976 F250 Supercab. For that truck there were NO options for factory captain's chairs or buckets. I went to a junk yard and roamed around, finally settling on front buckets from a 1976 AMC Pacer. They looked more "trucky" than other car seats. I then did just as you said: Built a custom tube frame for the bottom mounting and used 1/2" conduit for the skirt area where the upholstery pulls down and around. Looks like I will have to do something similar again for the 1995 crew, but was just hoping for an easier way out.

Fellro

Staff member
Being a Crew you can do the captain's chairs from an extended cab. Beyond that, not a lot of direct bolt in. You could try like an Excursion, but not going to be a straight bolt in either.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts