Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sea foam

tedrow42

Missouri Chapter member
Some times a bandaid I guess but realy good at cleaning out lines and carbs think you can put it in your oil to to break up gunk and such
It made the 89 run a lil smoother

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I run it in the bikes,trucks and the cars.
It does help, yo will notice it more in the smaller engines.
Smooths out the rototiller engine after sitting for extended periods of time between uses.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It's marketed more towards small gas engines like they mentioned, but I use it in everything.

I've added it to gas, oil, and used it in the intake of a vehicle to help clean up everything on the top of the motor.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
It is an effective cleaner. I use it for fuel systems mostly, but have used it when there is a lot of gunk from things like antifreeze in the oil and such. I also use it for putting in the fuel for storage. I put it in the tiller last fall, and it started on the first pull this spring. I used to use Sta-Bil, but after cleaning the red gunk out of the carburetor on my generator (the sta-bil was red) I will not use it any more.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I use Sea foam to help clean out the carbon by following the instruction on the can.

That's good to know guys. I have just a millisecond of hesitation when I press the throttle. Most people wouldn't even notice it. After I take the choke off and it is running normal temp, it still does it. Not enough to even concern the average person. But, I am not average. I am a member of FTF. I'm going to put some in my gas. Also in the crankcase. I have not heard any bad things about Sea Foam. I look forward to it helping my Ford.

One more thing I want to share..... I took two of my friends for a ride. I can drive for miles around here without getting near a paved road or a Police officer. They didn't have a clue what a 'Choke ' was. Especially the cable in the cab that was manually operated. I had a blast explaining it to them. Neither of them can drive a standard transmission. Oh yea, I was asked if they could try. I quickly ask them if I could borrow their girlfriends for an evening of some gross and disgusting activities? Of course NO! Well, I said. 'There's you're answer'.

I have gone out and sit in it at night sometimes when I can't sleep. I have done my homework with the dome light. Yea, I think I got it bad. Kind of have to get my fix I guess. Ya know?

tedrow42

Missouri Chapter member
That's good to know guys. I have just a millisecond of hesitation when I press the throttle. Most people wouldn't even notice it. After I take the choke off and it is running normal temp, it still does it. Not enough to even concern the average person. But, I am not average. I am a member of FTF. I'm going to put some in my gas. Also in the crankcase. I have not heard any bad things about Sea Foam. I look forward to it helping my Ford.

One more thing I want to share..... I took two of my friends for a ride. I can drive for miles around here without getting near a paved road or a Police officer. They didn't have a clue what a 'Choke ' was. Especially the cable in the cab that was manually operated. I had a blast explaining it to them. Neither of them can drive a standard transmission. Oh yea, I was asked if they could try. I quickly ask them if I could borrow their girlfriends for an evening of some gross and disgusting activities? Of course NO! Well, I said. 'There's you're answer'.

I have gone out and sit in it at night sometimes when I can't sleep. I have done my homework with the dome light. Yea, I think I got it bad. Kind of have to get my fix I guess. Ya know?

Hahahaha that's funny stuff might wana run sum through the carb also

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I like seafoam - it's not a cure-all but it does what it claims to do but really smokes up the neighborhood. People will think your car is on fire when you dump it into the vacuum line.

Marvel Mystery Oil is also good for some things - trouble is the old guys believed it would do everything including raising the dead. It IS a good top oil system. Adds a bit of lube to the valve and pistons reducing friction. Like seafoam it can be added to oil, fuel or from a small jar under the hood directly into the intake. Google Aampco top oiler - they still make them.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I was always afraid to add it to the oil. Sounded like a good way to break crude loose and plug up the pick up screen.

smiliewhathesaidsmilieIagree I would not add it to oil unless you plan to pull the oil pan and clean everything afterward.

Fellro

Staff member
I've always been more concerned about taking the varnish and glaze off of the cylinder walls, as well as the seals.

I run a can of seafoam thru the vacuum lines
simply take the top off the can pop the vacuum line off and stick it in the can then crank it and cut it off
pour the rest in the gas tank wait 15 minutes crank it and rev it

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I run a can of seafoam thru the vacuum lines
simply take the top off the can pop the vacuum line off and stick it in the can then crank it and cut it off
pour the rest in the gas tank wait 15 minutes crank it and rev it

Wouldn't that tend to screw things like diaphragms and the like up?

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Wouldn't that tend to screw things like diaphragms and the like up?

Not really Duncan I have done it several times. It helps to clean out carbon from the valves and makes one hell of a smoke show.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Not really Duncan I have done it several times. It helps to clean out carbon from the valves and makes one hell of a smoke show.

Hmm...thanks, learn something new everyday!

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Seafoam, was developed for 2 stroke outboard motors. In a word it does work. If you are looking for the biggest bang for the buck, hands down Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner. 4 oz. per gallon for clean up of a known issue, otherwise follow the diections on the bottle.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Techron is goooood stuff. That's what I like to add in the gas for fuel system cleaning. I do enjoy using the seafoam though with the smoke show. Last week me & a co worker each used 1/2 a bottle in the parking lot at work - it was fun.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts