Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Replacing Factory AM radio with aftermarket stereo?

Hello,
I am having a trouble deciding what kind of aftermarket radio to put in my Truck.

I've been looking at Retrosound and Custom Autosound radios, as they are modern technology but maintain the factory "classic" look. Are either of these products better (ie: quality of build, functionality, sound, radio reception, Ipod usage) then the Kenwood's or The Pioneer's decks that are available at any electronic store?

Just wondering what you have all done with your trucks? Don't wanna spend money on something I may have to return if it is no good or be out money after 1 year warranty if it suddenly dies.

Cheers!
Bryce

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I purchased the Custom Autosound USA-630 with the single CD player. After two returns under warranty for both the CD player and the radio, I have been happy with them both.

Since these are mass marketed, if I did this again, I would spend the coin and go with Duncan's choice. They completely rebuild old radios and upgrade them with several options of your choice.

OK, Thanks guys! I like that "vintage auto radio".

At this time, I am looking for a quick solution, so I will probably install a radio from a nearby electronics store.

But when I do the full restoration I will definitely go the "vintage auto radio" route.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm sure you know, but if you go with a DIN type unit, you will have to butcher the steel radio support and the dash bezel.

Fellro

Staff member
It has definitely gotten hard to come up with post type mounting...

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I have a custom auto sound radio and while it fit well and worked well, I just wasn't impressed with audio output compared to just a cheap DIN CD player/radio. I made the choice to install a DIN in both my trucks and I am happy with them. However, as Duncan said, you do have to modify the bezel and bracket.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Butcher might have been a harsh word to use...I know it can br done tastefully, I've just seen too many well, butcher jobs...same as they did on my truck.

Well you asked....
The dash in mine was already butchered so I didn't feel guilty. I didn't like the sound coming from those little speakers so I cut the door opening bigger and put in some 6x8 Kenwood speakers I got on sale when getting a stereo for my son. They are hidden buy the door panel and you really can't tell other than the sound is way better.

Some audio shops are way more interested in honoring the classic vehicle than you'll find in a Best Buy or similar. Check your options a little first.

If this truck wasn't already a mess I'd probably not do much but even with a big bank account this one isn't ever going to be collectible.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts