Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rear end rotational noise

Hi I am looking for some rear axle advice.

I have a rotational noise that seems to be coming from my Rear end. I have had the truck up on a lift with the transmission in drive and used the screwdriver stethoscope method to narrow it down to the rear end. we then took off the differential cover and looked at the gears. they were worn some but nothing to indicate something catastrophic. We filled it up with fresh oil and I have been driving it for several thousand miles since. The noise is growing by the week. My question is: is there a bearing that is accessable to a non pro, that has a fair amount of creeper time, that is a likely culprit. Also I cannot find a good technical drawing of my 2001 F250 rear axle. any help would be appreciated.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Going down the road, make wide sweeping turns. If you have a bad wheel bearing, when you turn toward it, the noise goes away. Is it speed related or engine related? Noise at acceleration/deceleration/cruise?

Additional information. After I got home tonight the whole differential case was quite warm, especially up by the drive shaft.

Going down the road, make wide sweeping turns. If you have a bad wheel bearing, when you turn toward it, the noise goes away. Is it speed related or engine related? Noise at acceleration/deceleration/cruise?

I don't think it is a wheel bearing. there is no play at the hubs and the sound seems to come from the rear differential. The noise is is speed related with no doubt. I saw some exploded technical drawings of rear ends from other years (can't find one for mine) and there seem to be some bearings in there. I was wondering if they are often the culprits.

thanks for your help on this!:cooldude:

Fellro

Staff member
While it s possible for the pinion bearing to fail, wheel bearings are more common. They do not have to feel loose to be bad. The heat you feel is normal, unless it is too hot to bear.

thanks blacksnapon. I don't get any change from left to right during turns. it is noticeable from about 5-40 mph, i think after that road noise drowns it out.

I just watched a video of a differential disassembly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7xin5Uyjd0

it is for a ford Ranger (couldn't find one for my truck)

very good video. I definitely don't want to take my rear end apart, but may have to do it.

I wonder, given that I do have slop in the rear end already, how wise it would be to replace the whole thing. Either with a rebuilt or junk yard rear assembly.

opinions?

New information.

I dropped both ends of the driveshafts. the end by the rear differential and the one by the transfer case. I now believe the noise is coming from the transfer case. I am having a little difficulty scaring up much useful info and or exploded drawings on this.

Any help would be great.smiliepeelout

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts