Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear axle question

Hi guys, My 77 F250 4x4 (lowboy) I need to replace the rearend. What rear of trucks would bolt up? Or what other truck/van would bolt in with little mods. Thanks Tony

Fellro

Staff member
I'm pretty sure up to 96 will bolt, I forget if the rear u-joint is the same or not, but seem to recall that it is. I do not know if the driveshaft length will change or not. Being it is not of the narrower frame, you can use a 2wd axle as well, as long as the gear ratio matches the front axle.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
OP's F250 has a Dana 60 rear axle that was replaced by the Sterling 10.25 in 1986.

Fellro

Staff member
I realize that, but I am looking at what can be put in, not as much as what the parts book fits. If they want to stay Dana or year specific, then there are limitations. It depends all in if they are interested in updating or stay with what was factory, and a guess is also local parts availability.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
But, the thing is, after 1986 only E250's (Econolines) came with Dana 60's, and this rear axle will not fit a F250.

Thanks guys. So a 80s Dana 60 will bolt in without any problems? So are the sterling 10.25 better then a dana? But a Sterling will bolt in?

Fellro

Staff member
As long as the spring perches are in the same place, springs are the same width, spring center bolt is int he same place, and the drive shaft can be made to match up, it will work with a Sterling. I know the books don't say that, but I am saying it from having wrenched on them. Brake lines and cables can be changed to work, but guess what? They use the same fitting. The u-joint cap outside diameter, same. The one difference is the cross is narrower on the older u-joint than on the newer one. One other change I can see possibly at this rate is the drive shaft length, which I had already pointed out. Is it a direct factory part for part swap? No. Can it be done? Sure looks like it to me. The drive shaft length is the one hang up I can see. The one difference is the cross is narrower on the older u-joint than on the newer one.

If you are looking to do a guaranteed no mod swap, then you would be best to stay Dana, which as stated is only available up to 85, which you need to be careful with as there could be a Sterling sneaking in on you. I would have to dig a little deeper to see what if any actual difference there is on changing a Dana to a Sterling. Depending on your needs, there really isn't a lot of difference as far as which is better, and gets to be more opinion than actual fact. One thing I do like about the Sterling is that you can take the drums off without having to pull the axle and hub.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts