Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

radio randomly get loud, then turns back down

it's been happening a lot lately. there is no rhyme or reason when it happens, but it will get really loud (sometimes really quiet).

i assume it's the radio itself and not something electrical further down the line. i'm pretty sure i have the old radio from my 97 f250 that i assume will drop right in? i'll put that in if you guys think that'll fix it. just want to make sure it's not another problem.

Blade

Backwoods boy
i dont know much about radios, but im guessing that it could be the radio station itself. that used to happen to out car radio all the time until i stoped listening to that radio station.... just my 2 cents tho...

i dont know much about radios, but im guessing that it could be the radio station itself. that used to happen to out car radio all the time until i stoped listening to that radio station.... just my 2 cents tho...
also a possibility i guess (i only listen to 1 station). haven't noticed it in any other cars i've had though. been driving other cars and listening to the same station for 7 years.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
See if it happens with a cd. Could also be that your radio has auto sound leveling like mine, makes the music louder when there's lots of road noise in the cab.

See if it happens with a cd. Could also be that your radio has auto sound leveling like mine, makes the music louder when there's lots of road noise in the cab.
good joke - this is a 1993 stock radio. they barely had the internet then, much less CDs and sound leveling.

sicktight722

Greatest man alive
The stock radio did that in my 93 too. it got to the point where it would turn up, but not turn back down by itself, you had to turn it back down. It also started doing it more and more. I just took it out and put in a cheap sony from walmart.

Well excuse me or thinking a computer programmer with an iPhone would own a newfangled compact disc player :rofl2:

i did in the old one, with an mp3 hookup and stuff - i just never listen to my iphone in the truck. got the new truck and was going to swap the radio, and realized how little i used the iphone/CD player.

The stock radio did that in my 93 too. it got to the point where it would turn up, but not turn back down by itself, you had to turn it back down. It also started doing it more and more. I just took it out and put in a cheap sony from walmart.
ok, so sounds like it's more likely the radio than some other electrical component. i'll swap it out with the one from my 97.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I had a problem like that it was the speaker connections. They loosened up some how. I could bump the door with my hand and they would work for a little while!!!

it's been happening a lot lately. there is no rhyme or reason when it happens, but it will get really loud (sometimes really quiet).

i assume it's the radio itself and not something electrical further down the line. i'm pretty sure i have the old radio from my 97 f250 that i assume will drop right in? i'll put that in if you guys think that'll fix it. just want to make sure it's not another problem.

We've had electrical Gremlins in all of or SUV's recently. Luckily, we always have them under warranty.

Last edited:
Conner-- do you really think Tom wants to travel into the future to buy whatever you refer to as a "tape"...?

Tom try it with an 8-track! :rofl:

Eight tracks were invented after tapes...

Cassettes: 1963
Eight Track: 1965

Usage might have peaked at different times though. Ford first installed 8 track players in cars in 1965. :)

I still listen to Cassettes, I like the way they sound as opposed to digitally reproduced music. :)

radialarm

Clown of Death!
The original radio for my '95 was an AM/FMstereo w/cassette!!!

WOO! HOO!

Now it's got a Pioneer CD, XM/Serrius tuners built in, MP3, 2 Aux, USB Etc...

radialarm

Clown of Death!
travel into the future to buy whatever you refer to as a "tape"...?

Tom try it with an 8-track! :rofl:

I believe it would be the "Past"!!!

I know a place that still has 8track tapes, but a very limited selection!!!:rolling laugh:

The original radio for my '95 was an AM/FMstereo w/cassette!!!

WOO! HOO!

Now it's got a Pioneer CD, XM/Serrius tuners built in, MP3, 2 Aux, USB Etc...

Same with mine, until about six months ago it had the stock 1989 AM/FM Stereo/Cassette/Clock (Premium stereo with the hidden amp), now it has a Sony CDX GT710. :)

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I have an Akai reel to reel with 8 track that can make 8 tracks! Anybody want me to cut some new 8 tracks? 'hippie'

Do you still have recordings of actual Dinosaur mateing calls!!!:rolling laugh:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Sorry Brad! It was a bad joke!!!

I'll go stand in the corner for 15 min!!!

Ford Truck Articles