Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Putting away the 460 for the Winter :(

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
It has been done. Gave her a fresh wax job in September. Trying a new additive this year called Star-Tron that a friend recommended. Just have to mouse and critter proof it and hook up the battery charger.

More power upgrades planned for some winter projects. Also new wheels and headlights to come in the spring as well as a new dash piece. I'm sick of looking at the 3/4" crack in it :headbang: :D

truckseptember152014freshwax_zps3888b198.jpg

I've got a much better idea Mike - send the beast over here and i'll keep her running for our summer .......... be warned I may develop attachment issues and it could be some time before you get it back :) :) :)

460Trucker

Only on the condition that I get to hold onto your F-150 AND boat for a summer! I also may develop empty nest syndrome and steal the 460 back therefore having all three :wasntme:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sounds good Mike.....what kind of charger are you leaving it on?

460Trucker

she looks great.....it kinda sucKS not driving tHem in winter but it's for their own good smilieFordlogo

Very true. Once I'm out of school I plan to have a couple that are garaged/ show pieces and one that I run in the winter but rust-proof the hell out of.

Sounds good Mike.....what kind of charger are you leaving it on?

It's a Battery Tender trickle charger. It's the lower current (1.25 amp) model. Worked great last winter!

He's leaving it on a Dodge Charger. :wasntme:

Haha nice one! Although a 69 R/T would be a nice ride :wasntme:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Perfect on the battery tender!

Only on the condition that I get to hold onto your F-150 AND boat for a summer! I also may develop empty nest syndrome and steal the 460 back therefore having all three :wasntme:

Hahaha by the time our Govt got done raping you on the fuel prices here to run all three you'd be broke as me :) :) and we'd both have to put it in a shed to just admire it while scheming up a way to fill the gas tanks.
You could come fishing like this though - best fishing here is in the winter when the weather is more settled though ......... best thing ever for you though is we don't have a bad enough winter to use salt.

IMG_13531.JPG

IMG_17442.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_17541.JPG

460Trucker

always a good plan....I don"t drive my good truck in winter either

Do you put anything on the frame or chassis as far as rust proofing? (Undercoat, metal protector, paint, etc.) I had mine undercoated when I first bought it and every other year I do another one myself just in case I ever had to take it out.

Perfect on the battery tender!

YelloThumbUp Definitely recommend it to anyone here looking for a good storage charger

460Trucker

Hahaha by the time our Govt got done raping you on the fuel prices here to run all three you'd be broke as me :) :) and we'd both have to put it in a shed to just admire it while scheming up a way to fill the gas tanks.
You could come fishing like this though - best fishing here is in the winter when the weather is more settled though ......... best thing ever for you though is we don't have a bad enough winter to use salt.

Nice pictures, Mark! Fuel prices have actually gone down quite a bit in my area. Last year we were paying around 3.60 (USD) per gallon. Everywhere around me is anywhere from 2.88 to 2.95. Either way, maybe I should consider moving to your neighborhood! :D

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I agree with you mike, Mike about putting em away for the winter, I've put my baby away for the winter, for I don't drive my classic truck in the winter, that's why I have a beater for winter duty, although it's an '07 Chebby ColoradosmilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Most depressing time of the year for me.....hate putting up my rigs and I hate snow and ice removal.

Both my dents have been put up already! Both have Tenders on!

:(

460Trucker

I agree with you mike, Mike about putting em away for the winter, I've put my baby away for the winter, for I don't drive my classic truck in the winter, that's why I have a beater for winter duty, although it's an '07 Chebby ColoradosmilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

As long as the Ford is protected, you could drive a 'yota if you really wanted! :D

Most depressing time of the year for me.....hate putting up my rigs and I hate snow and ice removal.

Both my dents have been put up already! Both have Tenders on!

:(

Same here! I do owe a big thanks to you as you helped me in a thread from last year in how to properly store a truck during the winter. YelloThumbUp
Good to see you like the tender as well.

NEWFIE F-150

son of Steve
Do you put anything on the frame or chassis as far as rust proofing? (Undercoat, metal protector, paint, etc.) I had mine undercoated when I first bought it and every other year I do another one myself just in case I ever had to take it out.
I use a homemade grease mixture. I have to use something, as it's still bare metal under there. paint works if you wash the daylights out of it all the time.....professional/storebought rustproofers are a joke. ask me how I know haha

460Trucker

I would disagree on the professional end. When I first bought my truck in high school I had to take it through to winters, the undercoating protected it quite well by holding the few bits of rust on the underside in place. I now use a spray on heavy duty metal protector from AIMSOIL (shout out to Chris!) that has been great as well holding everything in place.

NEWFIE F-150

son of Steve
they don't work here lol. my winter truck was done, it's starting to fail. my good truck was done, the frame broke from rust. just for a start

if well cared for and repeated every year, perhaps. but that would be more or less like paint - works well if cared for obsessively

Last edited:

460Trucker

they don't work here lol. my winter truck was done, it's starting to fail. my good truck was done, the frame broke from rust. just for a start

if well cared for and repeated every year, perhaps. but that would be more or less like paint - works well if cared for obsessively

Obsessively is exactly it! haha I can't stand even dust on my truck smilieFordlogo

NEWFIE F-150

son of Steve
I can let my good truck get a bit dirty while working or driving. but I try not to let her stay that way. winter truck.....I don't pay no never mind to in that regard.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts