Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Punching out my cats?

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
if you did, I'd have to report you to animal welfare, oh wait your talking exhaust.I wouldn't if they are not plugged, and if you really don't want them, just take them off, that old punch the screwdriver through is crappy, sorry, JMO. Then you could always put them back on if you decide to sell, cats are expensive!

Fellro

Staff member
Not to mention, the angle you have to deal with is not conducive to such action, intentionally. If you feel you have an issue with them, you would be better served to remove them. Obviously you aren't in an area that checks them, but be aware that there is always that chance that the feds could fine you for it. Likely, maybe not, but it is a federal offense to intentionally disable the emissions system. I wouldn't be in a hurry to do away with them for if nothing more the effort and no real benefit from it unless they are plugging.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Gutting a cat converter can also cause some weird performance problems. By creating an empty chamber, you create a really strange pressure/drag zone in that empty chamber that probably harms performance.

Ryan

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Not to mention if they are factory cats you can sell them to places that buys them because they have gold in them.I sold a small one to a place over a year ago and got $70.00

Fellro

Staff member
Actually, they have platinum in them, which is worth more than gold... You can't get that if they are broken up though, for whatever reason.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Actually, they have platinum in them, which is worth more than gold... You can't get that if they are broken up though, for whatever reason.

The guy showed me some broken pieces from my cat it was gold. Mine were also older ones too.

Fellro

Staff member
Might be gold in color, but they use platinum for the reaction to change the CO and NOx emissions. Gold melts at too low of a temperature. The platinum is imbedded in the ceramics used to make the honeycomb shape.

Ok, looks like some of the new ones are actually using gold, never heard of that before.

In the catalytic converter, there are two different types of catalyst at work, a reduction catalyst and an oxidation catalyst. Both types consist of a ceramic structure coated with a metal catalyst, usually platinum, rhodium and/or palladium. The idea is to create a structure that exposes the maximum surface area of catalyst to the exhaust stream, while also minimizing the amount of catalyst required, as the materials are extremely expensive. Some of the newest converters have even started to use gold mixed with the more traditional catalysts. Gold is cheaper than the other materials and could increase oxidation*, the chemical reaction that reduces pollutants, by up to 40 percent [source: Kanellos].

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter2.htm

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I understand the how it works. But it is all confusing,either way I wouldn't gut one.Just cut it out and replace it with a new one then sell the old one.

Fellro

Staff member
usually platinum, rhodium and/or palladium
Some of the newest converters have even started to use gold mixed with the more traditional catalysts

My main intent was the materials used. Even with the gold, they may be still using platinum. I'm not sure what they mean by newer, but pretty much has to be a fairly recent introduction.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
My main intent was the materials used. Even with the gold, they may be still using platinum. I'm not sure what they mean by newer, but pretty much has to be a fairly recent introduction.

So many changes it really hard to keep up with. One of my sons got a 94 Dak from a friend of mine,that friend gutted the cat and thought it was cool.Now I have to replace it because sometimes it runs properly and sometimes not so good. Plus the cel light stays on all the time. So we will replace the cat,O2 sensor along with a complete tune up.

The passenger side is glowing im running true duals. I mean idk i know for inspection even though in this area we dont have emissions they still need to be seen. Im up in the air about it. I mean for me to do it isnt a problem its just idk if i want to.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Go to summit Racing they have cheap cats that flow well and cost about $60.00 cut your old ones off and sell them to a cat recycler

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts