Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Proud New Owner 92 FSB

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
All you can do is give it a try Ken, worst case is you might wind up replacing that gasket.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
fatherdoug said:
Since the Bronco is a '92, then the A/C probably runs off the old R-12 refrigerant, which is hard to find and very expensive. I THINK most Ford vehicles started using the R-134A in 1994. The old system can be converted, but at a price.

Yikes...how can I tell? I wonder if it had already been converted. It was ice, ice cold when I used it yesterday.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
DNFXDLI said:
All you can do is give it a try Ken, worst case is you might wind up replacing that gasket.

Yup, it's worth it. All our vehicles run synthetic oil except our pos plow trucks.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yikes...how can I tell? I wonder if it had already been converted. It was ice, ice cold when I used it yesterday.

Usually when they're converted the mechanic will write a note or place a sticker on the A/C compressor or on top of the header panel under the hood.

But if the A/C works, don't worry about it for now- no reason to mess with the system if it's cooling well.

Beautiful rig, BTW.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
john112deere said:
Usually when they're converted the mechanic will write a note or place a sticker on the A/C compressor or on top of the header panel under the hood.

But if the A/C works, don't worry about it for now- no reason to mess with the system if it's cooling well.

Beautiful rig, BTW.

Absolutely, wife and I just talked that we'll address it if and when it stops cause it's working awesome right now.

I'm going to go check and see if I can find anything on or around it.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous

Beautiful rig, BTW.

Agreed, if it's working fine, then let it go until it needs to be addressed later. There should be a sticker somewhere under the hood stating what the refrigerant is and what the capacity is, unless it was done by the previous owner(s).

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
fatherdoug said:
Agreed, if it's working fine, then let it go until it needs to be addressed later. There should be a sticker somewhere under the hood stating what the refrigerant is and what the capacity is, unless it was done by the previous owner(s).

Just checked and I couldn't see any stickers on the frame or on the compressor, but dang, these ac parts (hoses, condenser, etc.) Looks freakin brand new and not something that was originally on a 21 year old rig.

2012-08-12_19-59-29_587.jpg

But it's working like new!

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Duh....the sticker on the condenser says R12.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^so the old stuff?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Found the original binder and owner's manual in the glove box.

2012-08-12_20-03-22_397.jpg

2012-08-12_20-03-34_252.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Can't get enough of this rig!!!

Family and I took it out for a spin today.

Went for ice cream and store run. Car seat and dvd player seem perfect for this bronco! Fit perfect!

Wifey drove! And it passed the ultimate test!!!

I'm still in awe with how new-like this rig is.

2012-08-12_19-26-58_899.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^view from our second floor. :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
slmann said:
congrats Ken, what are the plans for it?

A definite to do in the next few months (was reminded by another thread) is keyless entry and auto start for winter warm ups, a nice luxury add on up here.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Pretty decent.....I checked this out before heading down to look at it. When reading the explanation of what is "Low" and what it "Average', I'd guess this rig falls in-between the two, if not pretty close to the average price.

1992FordBronco2DoorUtility4WDPricesValuesSpecsWindowSticker-NADAguides.jpg

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I'd say your AC has been converted to R134a (new stuff)

Unless my eyes decieve me, in that first pic you can see a blue capped thing that looks like a 134a adaptor. Standard on a conversion from that era.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sweet deal Ken, solid looking rig. That should suit your family and needs nicely. You'll be happy with that rig.

Ford Truck Articles