Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

PCV Valve.. delete?

Whats goin on guys, might be gettinga set of ford racing valve covers.. they were designed for a carburated engine so they dont have a spot for the PCV valve..

can i use the valve covers and not have a pcv valve?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I wouldn't recommend it... I don't think it'll throw off the computer since the PCV is a mechanical system (as opposed to electronic).

Do you know what the PCV system is for? Positive crankcase ventilation-- burns off the excess fuel fumes in your crankcase by circulating them back through the intake. It's preferable to have it YelloThumbUp

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
also lowers crankcase oil pressure slightly and theoretically increases horsepower.

I'd look for another set of covers unless you're bent on that set. I just bought a ford racing pair for $135

Ryan

im getting em for $20.. lol, thats y...

is it possible?.. not worried bout power, trucks got 206k, it isnt going fast anytime soon, plus, theres a breather on the cover, so it could be ok, i knwo you guys would know

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I really wouldn't risk it Brian. If I'm not mistaken, it's less of a performance feature and more of a good engine health feature. If the covers are only $20 then why not just drill a hole and put a grommet in it? How much have you got to lose? $20....

very true.. lol..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just found this in my Ford manual:

The positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system cycles crankcase gases back through the engine (6007) where they are burned. The positive crankcase ventilation valve (PCV valve) (6A666) regulates the amount of ventilation air and blow-by fuel vapor to the intake manifold (9424) and prevents backfire from traveling into the crankcase. The positive crankcase ventilation valve is mounted in a vertical position.

CAUTION: Do not remove the PCV system from the engine. Operating engine without PCV system will reduce both fuel economy and engine ventilation. This will weaken engine performance and shorten life.

Sounds like it may be even worse than I thought; might be some nasty side effects if you remove it.

Last edited:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
hmmm thats very interesting chris. ive been running a Breather in place of my PCV valve for about 2 years now. have i noticed a difference? im honestly not sure. but ill reinstall it after seeing that.

Fellro

Staff member
Also not running PCV's will contribute to oil leaks, as you have to build a bit of pressure to ventilate the crankcase. The motion of the pistons create quite a bit of pressure....

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The older trucks did not have them, BUT, they did have a blowby pipe sticking out the side of the engine to relieve pressure. The requirement has always been there, it's just that the PCV valve is a little "greener".(I hate that word!)

Fellro

Staff member
You have to go quite a ways back to get the road draft tubes... of course, the seals and oil back then were half as good as we have now... but you are right, the PCV is the original emissions control...

whats funny is i bet i can make that pcv valve fit in it.. it look almost like a cap.. much like the breather i was gunna put on..

PCV.JPG

soo i will make it work!

Fellro

Staff member
Many of the older Fords did have the PCV in the cap...

wow... do i feel stupid.. they sell a cap with a PCV valve in it for these calve covers at AutoZone

Well this still hasn't swayed me from deleting my PCV....getting aweful tired of finding and sucking oil out of my upper plenum....

when u fill ur oil disconnect the oil breather line.. guarantee thats what its from... noticed it happen when i poured the oil in too fast, cam up the breather tube

My oil breather line is deleted I have 70's model VC's on mine.......the oil is getting sucked up the PCV tube into the Upper Plenum.

im guessing your valve covers dont have baffles..

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
You'd guess right...i've got 1.7 RR's on it and the baffles needed to be trimmed and reattached.......but I forgot to reattach the one under the PCV locale.....'smiliedoh' :headbang:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts