Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Painted the work truck. 56k warning

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Tony,

Did you use lacquer or enamel (I'am guessing enamel), and was it a single stage, 2-stage or tri-stage system?

Also do you have a booth or did you just use your garage?

Enamel, base/clear. It's actually a cheaper paint than I normally use. Dimension, from Sherwin Williams. I normally use their Ultra 7000 base/clear on my own stuff.

The white was leftover from a fleet job I did. (painted 4 trucks). The blue was actually touch up paint I had mixed up to match the storefront at the local water treatment plant. I had to repair one of their entrance doors and needed paint. It was a steel door, so auto paint came to mind.

When I decided to paint the truck, I figured instead of letting my leftovers go to waste, might as well use them up. I had a little over 3 quarts of white, which was plenty to do that part, but a little less than a quart of the blue. That would have been cutting it real close, so I mixed in some silver and lightened it up a bit.

I sprayed the blue on first, because it was a smaller area to tape off than it would be if I would have sprayed the white first.

I did that inside the garage. Had both of the overhead doors open though and a little dust got in it, but heck, it's a work truck.

Chris, I have a chrome grille for it. I'm just waiting to run across the chrome headlight bezels and I'll throw it in. I might even shim the bumper up and make it happy faced again.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Looks real good bud!

KdPate

After Hours Garage
Looks very good man. YelloThumbUp

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO

Blade

Backwoods boy
i remember the pic u sent me on the phone. but hot dayum Tony! my jaw hit the floor when i seen this pic! great job man!!!!

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Man,I can't believe I missed the thread.

It looks great Tony.Blue and white is one of my favorite color combos on these trucks.Too bad you couldn't mix in a little metallic for the blue,cause then it would be perfect.lol.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
the aint looks great.....while your at it go ahead n paint my 84 and then put sum blue stripes on the 94 i bought

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
One of these days I'm going to burn some serious vacation and limp my poor truck down to Florida with some paint.

Ryan

I'm with you there...he does good work doesn't he. I may have to arrange something when I head down to visit the grandparents. Tony isn't too far from them.

Tony you figure you can handle a tutone scheme like Ranger429 has on his Bronco...but in red and white?

Ford Truck Articles