Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Paint my rims?

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
Hi there, quick question, how do I go about painting my steel dually rims?

They're peeling black rust underneath right now. I know the better way io remove the wheels off the truck and take the tires off the rims. However, in my case, the wheels are on. I'll be masking the tires, but I wonder if I should paint as is, or remove the lug nuts, paint them seperate, mask the lug nut bolts, are paint them aswell or?

I'll be painting them Tremclad white.

Tyl

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
can you use a pressure washer on them first?, or scrape off whatever is loose first, then just paint them, I'de leave the lug nuts on

Removing the wheels is the better way, because they don't only rust where you can see them. The backs rust, too. and inbetween the duals, in the beads, etc.
I had mine powder=coated a year or so ago, before I put new tires on it, and they bead-blasted them first, then put the powder coat on, for only 25 bucks each wheel.
Wnen I sold the truck this year, the new buyer just loved the wheels!

Removing the wheels is the better way, because they don't only rust where you can see them. The backs rust, too. and inbetween the duals, in the beads, etc.
I had mine powder=coated a year or so ago, before I put new tires on it, and they bead-blasted them first, then put the powder coat on, for only 25 bucks each wheel.
Wnen I sold the truck this year, the new buyer just loved the wheels!

Is that your special price or the general public?

Where is this place?

The local powder coater wants $70 per wheel to bead blast and coat mine (if he happens to be running the color I want at that time). I have 5 stock steel wheels. No way!

Unless I find a powder coater that is more reasonable...mine will get blasted, epoxy primed, and single stage. I know...not nearly as good, but.....

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Out of curiosity, why don't you want to remove the wheels?

I believe by the photos he has posted, he is disabled and is doing this paint project himself? therefore the wheels stay on for the simple reason its easier for him to do it this way, just do it one of the ways I stated before and they will be fine for now, it will definitly clean them up, at least until you can do it by pulling them and doing it properly, Good luck Dude, I commend you

Ahh...sorry did not even think of that. The wheels on my 56 are currently just sprayed black with a rattle can. They were that way when I bought it.

You get about 5' from them and they do not look to bad.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/Brian_B_1956/My truck/2008_0101truck0001.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/Brian_B_1956/My truck/2008_0101truck0002.jpg

If possible, clean the rusty area with some sort of wire brush. Just use caution (safety glasses, long sleeves, etc.) if using some sort of power one.

If down to bare metal in places, I would go ahead and prime them first before painting. I am a nut with the primer though.:redface:

I do not like to see lug nuts painted on the vehicle. It makes breaking them loose a nightmare for the next person to change a tire.

You could, in theory, (depends on how they are made) mask them from the wheel itself and paint seperately while on the vehicle (I think).

Is that your special price or the general public?

Where is this place?

The local powder coater wants $70 per wheel to bead blast and coat mine (if he happens to be running the color I want at that time). I have 5 stock steel wheels. No way!

Unless I find a powder coater that is more reasonable...mine will get blasted, epoxy primed, and single stage. I know...not nearly as good, but.....
Ozark Powder Coating, Carthage, MO (417) 358 - 3447
www.ozarkpowdercoatinginc.com
Ask for Gary.
It is true, that there is extra cost if they have to set up for a new color, but he was running Gloss Black several times a week, and that is what I wanted.
I had these done 2 years ago... it may have gone up, but I doubt THAT much!

Last edited:

tylstruck

I suppose I could remove all six wheels, seperate the rims from tires. Sandblast the rims and paint. Would have to contract that out.

Tyl

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
if you have the money and time to do it that way and its what "YOU" want, then absolutely, if you don't and you just want to clean them up for now, don't let anyone else tell you differently, they're not paying for it!

I suppose I could remove all six wheels, seperate the rims from tires. Sandblast the rims and paint. Would have to contract that out.

Tyl

Tyl I wasn't suggesting that you had to. I was answering the question "Why remove them" initially, and then brian's asking information.
I'm sorry if it seemed directed at you. It wasn't.

tylstruck

Tom, I thought you'd paint my rims for me. Here's the passenger rear rim.

2004_0429Image0003.jpg

They're not repulsive looking. I just wanna get rid of the black in them. I think my best route is to spray on a degreaser, whire brush and paint. I think I will paint lug nuts a different color.

I'd truly like to find a match of aluminum dually rims. Where did you find those? Must be expensive?

I will wait a bit on the rims, have some deconstructive work to do on the '78.

Tyl

Definately the easiest way to make them look nice is what you are thinking now. They will last a long time that way. I have had mine for 2 1/2 years now and they still look fine.

Those pics I linked to were about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I would also imagine the chrome dually wheels would be expensive. Never been around those at all.

Sorry to interupt (hijack) the thread...Tom just shocked me :drop: with the price. I have recently checked here and it was way higher.

Fellro

Staff member
One other option you have it the dual wheel covers, they give a chrome wheel look with out the pricetag... Personally, I would go silver, and paint the lugs black.... but white is good too, but I would still go black on the lugs.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Personally, I would go silver, and paint the lugs black.... but white is good too, but I would still go black on the lugs.

I seldom see silver paint that looks good, so I'd go with white. Lug nuts, I'd paint white, or red to match the top of the cab if I was feeling colorful.

I always paint wheels yellow, as a tribute to Grandpa...but I don't think that would look very good on your truck.

Fellro

Staff member
The only silver that looks good is the rally wheel paint, the rest look crappy.

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
I was just thinking about the dually wheel covers too Fellro, that would look sweet and be easy to do, you jack it up pull the lug nuts, slip it on and reinstall your nuts. DONE!!

:suspicious: That almost sounded DIRTY? :drop:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts