Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

oil pan proublem - Plug won't come out

Well I took my 1972 f100 with a 302 for some service today. I Just got the truck and wanted some one to look it over for me. Its getting a new fuel pump because gas was leaking out of the side of the pump. I also noticed oil leaking from around the oil plug.- So I bought a new plug and gasket.

Turns out the oil plug will not come out, it just turns. So now I'm getting a new oil pan and I told them to replace the oil pump while its off.

Is that a common problem? Never heard of such a thing.

any thoughts?

THANKS

JB

It's normally caused by some "gorilla" type character over tightening the sump bung and stripping the threads.
When changing the oil especially on the older engines i like to use a new copper washer on the sump bung every time and just do the bung up firmly .... you can tell by the feel of it if you're stretching the threads.

Fellro

Staff member
You can try to slip a flat head screwdriver behind the flat of the drain plug and pry while turning it. The threads are stripped. There are drain plugs that have an oversize thread for just this situation.

Ford Truck Articles