Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No more Ranger??

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
hopefully they will continue to 'study' the market and learn that there is another compact market slightly different from the current ranger. Say... F-100 revitalization.

Ryan

econo61

head pervert
okla
when i went shopping, ranger was a little over 500 more than my f150.

that was 4 banger, automatic, ac, and am/fm radidio.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Rangers are made at the Ford Twin City Assembly Plant in Minnesota.

Ford is closing the plant next year.

No assembly plant = no Rangers.

Fellro

Staff member
It hasn't seen a major mechanical update since 1998, while all of its competitors have been replaced with entirely new platforms and powertrains.
That may have a bit of something to do with it... If they don't do the Ranger, they really should do something like the F100, or they are tossing away a good market, They already pissed it away by not keeping up anyway...

The Ranger is also assembled in New Jersey which I'm not sure of the fate of that plant at the moment. The death of the Ranger has been coming for a long time. Toyota has taken over the mid-size truck market which is what the Ranger is forced to compete in since it is the only true compact left on the market. The fact that the Ranger hasn't had any real structural changes since 1993 doesn't help matters either. I think the Ranger is pretty gutsy for what it is but so many people purchase on HP numbers as much as other people buy on $$$ and the Ranger isn't winning any HP wars with 207HP when the other guys are running 3.5-4.0L motors making 50 more hp than us. I like the Ranger for what it is even though mine doesn't really suit my needs anymore. I think Ford is making a mistake by ditching the compact truck and possibly moving to the mid size market but I'm no expert (and lately it doesn't seem like Ford has many either) and I think there could be a market for all of them. Obviously the Ranger is a favorite with fleet sales for local govt. and utilities along with other companies that use them for delivery and such. I guess we will see how far they can run Ford into the ground before she quits pushing dirt.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
If you look at the sales numbers, the whole "personal" pickup market is going into the dumpster. It seems folks are going one of two directions- full-size, or pass on the whole pickup thing and buying an economical car.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts