Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New truck: 79 1Ton 4x4

Riotnrrd

Tennessee Chapter member
Any '77.5-'79 f-250 or f-350 4x4 truck could have the sway bars, it doesn't have to be a Camper Special or Trailer Special.

On a related note, my 1979 F150 4x4 most assuredly does NOT have front or rear sway bars.

Did it come with them from the factory? (anyone know)?
For light truck duties are they appreciably noticeable? Trying to decide if I should hunt them out at the local junkyard, or elsewhere...

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
On a related note, my 1979 F150 4x4 most assuredly does NOT have front or rear sway bars.

Did it come with them from the factory? (anyone know)?
For light truck duties are they appreciably noticeable? Trying to decide if I should hunt them out at the local junkyard, or elsewhere...

There is one on the front of my 79 150 and it appears as though they were never offered at the rear...and was an option I am guessing. Having said that, it seems the Bronco's could be had with a rear stabilizer and it should fit the 150's. Don't know about how much they would affect the ride...probably for the better on road. I'm still waffling as to pursue the rear one or not.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've got a front sway bar on my Bronco...and can't say I notice any appreciable difference, except for how much more of a PITA it is to get to my front diff.

I ended up removing the factory swaybars on this truck just because I wanted some additional off-road flex. It still drives nice on the street, although to be honest I never drove it on the street with the swaybars on it. The half-tons have softer springs, so you may notice a little more difference in handling with an added swaybar, but it is still a 30 year old truck, so handling is not going to be precise no matter what. My old '77 F150 did not have swaybars and it handled good on the street even with the 4" lift. My current 04 Super Duty has front and rear swaybars, and it handles great on the street, but it also has 25 years of suspension improvements helping it out as well.

Ford Truck Articles