Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New truck: 79 1Ton 4x4

SC
eeeehhh, you can do better.

Great score, man!

So, does this mean this is the project now, and the '77 becomes the parts truck?

Yes, that is now the case. I really don't feel bad about it though, since I only paid $500 for the '77, which was what the bed was worth, and I got a truck that has served me well for the last year. The '77 needs a cab and a motor, and also has some cancer areas in the frame. This is a much better base to start from, and I can keep driving the '77 while I'm building it, then just swap the bed over to it when it's done. I'm also going to use the grille and bumper from the '77.

I'm already getting some ideas on the build, my neighbor (who does all of my painting) is talking me into installing all of the Ranger side trim (I have a few sets) and going two-tone, most likely leaving the original metallic brown overall with metallic gold in the center. My first truck (a 2wd 79 F100) was also this color, and it really looks stunning in the sunlight. I think it will turn out pretty nice.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I love your idea for paint! My first truck (78 F150) was Dark Metallic Brown--but no Tu-Tone. So, I've always loved that color. It will look sweet with the gold.

So, if you're using the '77 grille, I'll give you a dollar for the '79 grille shell! :) Is it strait?

I love your idea for paint! My first truck (78 F150) was Dark Metallic Brown--but no Tu-Tone. So, I've always loved that color. It will look sweet with the gold.

So, if you're using the '77 grille, I'll give you a dollar for the '79 grille shell! :) Is it strait?

I think it's pretty straight, to be honest I didn't really look at it real well. It's pretty faded out, has the white oxidation all over it. I have 2 other '79 grille shells in my shed if you need one, one is faded, but not as bad, still straight. The other one is really nice, it is the original off of my '79 2wd, 50k original miles and garage kept. It is really clean and shiny.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I think it's pretty straight, to be honest I didn't really look at it real well. It's pretty faded out, has the white oxidation all over it. I have 2 other '79 grille shells in my shed if you need one, one is faded, but not as bad, still straight. The other one is really nice, it is the original off of my '79 2wd, 50k original miles and garage kept. It is really clean and shiny.

Cool.
PM sent.

On those wheels, go get some 0000 steel wool, and some mothers mag and aluminum polish. It'll take some elbow greese, but the more you use the better they'll look. Take a piece of that steel wool load it up with the polish and go over em twice, then take a clean piece of the steel wool and hit em. If after this you still want em brighter, take some 2000 grit wet\dry paper, and wet sand em then hit em with the polish on a clean rag. They'll look like brand new.

And Sweet deal on the truck!

So I got the truck home yesterday. As soon as I got it off the truck I threw a battery in it, checked the fluids, put some fresh gas to it, and started cranking. After a little cranking and coaxing, she fired rite up! Motor sounds tight and strong, no smoke. Even idles smooth. I drove it around the yard some to make sure the tranny and axles are working good, everything seems good. I pulled the bed off to get a better look at the frame, and its cleaner than I originally thought. I will have to replace the crossmember in front of the rear axle, but everything else is very solid. I think I scored pretty good on this one. I'll try to post some new pics of it tonight with it cleaned up a little better.

I also got the VIN number, can someone decode this for me?

F36HCFA5566

Dennis, thanks for the decode. I clicked on your link but I need a password.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
That is one hellova find!gotta love it man and hell a couple 5 gallon buckets of bondo n some sanding and primer..thing'll look killer! can't wait to see more pics and the finished product!

That is one hellova find!gotta love it man and hell a couple 5 gallon buckets of bondo n some sanding and primer..thing'll look killer! can't wait to see more pics and the finished product!

Thanks man. Someone's already tried to fill the holes in the hood with bondo, but that's all falling out. No worries though, I pretty much have all the body parts to build a pretty solid truck, the only bondo it will need will be to fill in some dents here and there. I'm still looking for a decent drivers side door, but they aren't hard to find.

Here are some updated pics. I removed the bed and front flares, and sprayed tire cleaner all over the truck to get all of the mold off, it actually cleaned up pretty well.

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

You can sorta see the holes in the cab corner from this angle. The cab is repairable, but it would need floors, lower door posts, and cab corners. I have a rust-free 79 cab, so I will use that instead. Save a lot of work and make a more solid truck in the end. You can also see the brand-new rear tank that came with it.

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

That's all for now, I'll take more as I tear into it further.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
sexy she cleaned up pretty good..I see 7 vehicles and a 77 4wd with my name on it sittin on Hummer tires......Those rims should polish up real nice..you might be able to get away with scotchbrite pads and mother mag polish on those..they don't "LOOK" too grungy. The green pads should work pretty good.

sexy she cleaned up pretty good..I see 7 vehicles and a 77 4wd with my name on it sittin on Hummer tires......Those rims should polish up real nice..you might be able to get away with scotchbrite pads and mother mag polish on those..they don't "LOOK" too grungy. The green pads should work pretty good.

Thanks man, the green and white '79, the black 05, and the '77 are all mine, the rest of the cars belong to my family. The '77 is pretty much junk, and this truck will replace the '77 when I get it done.

Thanks for the tip on the wheels. I polished a little spot on one of the wheels with a rag and some aluminum polish, and it cleaned up pretty well. Unfortunately it looks like these wheels were never polished, since I can see the machine marks from the machined finish on the wheels. That just means I'll have a little more work in getting them shined up.

Those slot mags were never really bright to begin with...I had some on a '76 I had and used a buttload of elbow grease w/Mother's Mag polish to clean em up. They looked damn good ;)

Don't know how far west in PA you are, but I have an extra hood I'd let go for a decent price. Send me a PM if you're interested. (it's already brown!)

I'm about an hour north of Pittsburgh. I already have a hood for this truck since my uncle gave me a rust-free dent-free hood that had been in his barn for the last 20 years for helping him bale hay.

Canfield swap meet is coming up in 2 weeks so I'm making a list of things to look for. I'd like to pick up a decent drivers side door, since the spare one that I have has a little rust in the bottom. I'm also looking for a set of 4" Super Duty front lift springs.

Also, by chance does anyone know if the brake parts from a D44HD front are interchangeble with a D60 front? I just put new rotors, calipers and pads on the '77 last fall, and since I'm parting it out I'd like to reuse that stuff on this truck if possible. I'll sell it if I can't.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts