Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New MA Emission standards!!!

Starting Oct 1st 2008 (Wednesday) All vehicles 96 and under will NOT be subject to emission testing!! Basicly, only cars getting tested will be ones equipped with OBDII.

Time to get those LT's and dump the cat!!

if i cut out the cat wont that mess up the o2 sensor?

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I saw the title, and thought "Damn, I'm glad I don't still have MA tags."

Then I realized it was looser standards, not tighter, and was happy.

Then I realized my truck is a '97 and it wouldn't matter.

Do you know if you can still fail for a check-engine light in an OBD-1 car? Friend has a '95 VW that keeps popping that light...and if you know VWs, you know that means he's wishing it just needed a new transmission or something simple like that...

Pretty sure if your check engine lights on in any car any year it fails automaticly, i think that may fall under safety, cause something is obv wrong with the car and needs repair

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
i think that may fall under safety, cause something is obv wrong with the car and needs repair

It always used to fall under Emissions (meaning you had 60 days to fix it, which you legally didn't on safety stuff...though they don't usually enforce that) since nearly anything that trips that light but allows the car to be driven to the station is an emission control issue, not "safety" like brakes/tires/lights.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
HAHAHAHA welcome to New Hampshire Standards! but im sure you need to keep your cat and other emissions stuff just like in NH. but im glad to hear that MA is going away from california law thank god!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
In NJ and obd1 car with ck eng light on wont fail. Just OBD2. If you take ur cat off u will get a light for system to lean unless ur obd1 and dont have the o2 after the cat.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
In NC '96 and older have no emission inspection but do have a tampering inspection.

That's just to make sure you didn't go and take all the emissions stuff off, though they don't care if it works or not.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Is urs O2 before or after the cat, on obd1 there should only be 1 o2 like my truck, no code no cat.

There are no inspections of any kind down here. None at all.

I suppose if you get stopped for something and they see an unsafe car...you could get into trouble for it. I have never heard of that happening though. There are some seriously dangerous vehicles on the roads around here!!!!

Michigan
no cats here and no code for having them both gone.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
96 is obdII but it is the only year for the data port to be on the passenger side for obd II.

In 97 mandated that they were on the driver side

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
There are no inspections of any kind down here. None at all.

I suppose if you get stopped for something and they see an unsafe car...you could get into trouble for it. I have never heard of that happening though. There are some seriously dangerous vehicles on the roads around here!!!!

same here in oklahoma. Noise ordnance and windshields is all they look for basically.

Heres a quote from the artice.

"Cars, trucks and SUVs manufactured before 1996 - which, at less than 15 percent of the fleet, currently comprise a small and declining share of all vehicles registered in Massachusetts - are either not equipped with on-board computers or not uniformly compatible with the OBD test. These older vehicles will fail their safety tests if inspectors can see smoke coming from their tailpipes. Dynamometer tailpipe testing is ending for these vehicles because their declining numbers do not justify an investment of up to $80,000 per inspection station on required equipment and maintenance."

heres the link
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/rmvnews/2008/pr_092508_inspection.htm

I talked to the guy at work for inspections, ill find out tomorow if he has to look for cats, smog pumps etc.. i know they used to do visual inspections... im not worried, i know he will pass me regardless. Im just worried about throwing an o2 code.. i thought they were on the cat..... what about egr tube?

so yesterday i got a package in the mail from the RMV.. weird..

well now for work, im going to be trained to perform vehicle inspections!!
pretty cool, i go for training at the end of the month! The package was the training manual and the forms... ahh this will be cool!!!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
so had my first of two classes today for MA state inspections and if you have a 1995 or older vehicle you can IN FACT have NO catalytic converter. If you dont have one we CANNOT fail it because there is no emission control. Only stipulation is if there is a visible blue or black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. And another stipulation, exhaust is SUPPOSE to be no louder than stock, which is mainly aimed at the ricer cars

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts