Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need some quick help, starting issue?????

Posting this here to hope that someone, somewhere can help me with this issue and I needed help yesterday. Here's the situation:

Have a 2001 e-450 with a V-10. It is a motorhome. I used it last year and had absolutely no problems. It only has 28,000 miles on it.

We are supposed to leave Friday night for camping. I tried to start it on Monday and found out the engine battery was dead ( not a big surprise ) so since the battery was about 5 years old I replaced it. Put in new battery last night.

I turned it over it started and then immediately died. And after cranking on it for a bit it acted like it was getting no fuel.

I have plenty of gas in it, the gas seems to be fine, because the generator works perfectly.

I checked the fuel pump fuse = fine, fuel pump emergency shut off = not tripped, fuel pump relay = fine. I shot some starting fluid into it and fired right back up???? So I crawled under and located a fuel filter on drivers side fram rail and replaced that. Still nothing?

Any ideas???? Hoping that maybe because it's a motorhome that there maybe another filter? Or something I'm not seeing. I would hate for it to be the fuel pump, last time I drove there were no "signs" of the fuel pump going bad.

PLEASE someone give some ideas, I'd like to still make my trip this weekend.

Thanks in advance!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The thing that doesn't mesh for me, is you put a new battery in and it fired up...then you had issues. Then you shot it with starting fluid and it started up. So one was either a coincidence or you have 2 problems. If it were me, I'd have the electrical system tested, so you could eliminate that. Then check to see if you have fuel at the rail.

Can you hear the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on?
are you getting fuel to the rail and if so when is the fuel pressure.

Unfortunately I cant hear the pump it is too far back to hear. How do I check for fuel at the rail? And how do I check for pressure? I read something about this system being pressurized. Does it do that automatically or does it need air pumped into it to pressurize it?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Unfortunately I cant hear the pump it is too far back to hear. How do I check for fuel at the rail? And how do I check for pressure? I read something about this system being pressurized. Does it do that automatically or does it need air pumped into it to pressurize it?
The system is pressurized when you turn the key on. This causes the fuel pump to run for 3-4 seconds pressurizing the system.
to check for fuel at the rail there should be a schrader valve on the fuel rail looks like a tire valve just push in the nib and fuel should spray out.
If you could get some one to listen at the tank while someone cycles the key on and off you should be able to hear the pump running.
Pumps do go bad sitting extended periods with no use.
To check fuel pressure you need a fuel pressure gauge that you attach to the schrader valve.

I was just informed that it is possible that there are 2 fuel filters on this thing. One inline style and another that is a canister with a cheap paper type filter in it. And it is possible that being storage can screw this second filter.

Any thoughts? They are only $3.00 so I think I will pick one up and do some looking closer to fuel tank for this "alleged" second filter.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would do what Randy suggests and see if you can even hear the pump turn on before searching for the other filter. Clogged filter or not you should at least be able to hear the pump running when you turn the key on.

I would do what Randy suggests and see if you can even hear the pump turn on before searching for the other filter. Clogged filter or not you should at least be able to hear the pump running when you turn the key on.

I plan to do that first. I just happen to live 40 miles from nearest parts store, but I work 3 blocks from there. So for a few bucks, I will pick them up on my way home today. If it turns out I do need them saves me time and gas on a parts run. And if I don't need them I can always return them when I go back to work.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
That sounds like a good plan then.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts