Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

need help with a lift

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I will look at tractor pics any time especially RED ones!!!!
DSCN2052.jpg

The white one with the 6" lift and the red and white highboy are both sweet lookin rides guys! I agree with the wrong proportions of a 6" lift and 35's, but the white truck does it nicely!

Here is my 79 short bed highboy with a home made 2" leveling kit and bald 36" buckshots. I did it because it was free and I didn't like the 70 nova rake that it had. If you want a big truck, I'd go with a 6" lift and 37" tires. Keep in mind that alot more work is involved when going to a 6" lift compared to a 4". Stuff like dropped radius arm brackets, drivelines, brake lines, steering, and track bar. Good luck and post some pics of your truck.
ford1-1.jpg

I knew somebody would say something, and you are pretty much right. Although they made 1/2 tons that were taller than others. The regular ones almost sit as low as a 2wd, when trucks like mine were taller from the factory. I guess heavy 1/2 ton is a better term.

No there were no half tons manufactured from Ford that were taller than others. All 79 half tons got one 5 pack leaf spring set for the back and the same coil springs up front.

All 79 4x4 shortbeds had only 1 payload rating, 6050lbs.

The only way you could of gotten a little taller 1/2 ton was to order the 10x15 tires. They were a bit taller than the standard L78-15 tire.

IIRC the only time I have ever seen a "heavy half" was on a 2wd model only.

Just an FYI, the difference between a 2wd and 4wd height was only 4".

OK, but I'm only going by what I've read, heard, and seen. I guess it's not 100% facts like you have, so thanks for the input. No harm intended, and sorry for highjacking the post if I did.

It's no problem. There is a lot of wrong information on the net. All of my info comes straight from the Ford build book that all of the dealers had back in 79.

And to keep it on topic, 4" lift with 35's on my Bronco.

dsc02821.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
OK, but I'm only going by what I've read, heard, and seen. I guess it's not 100% facts like you have, so thanks for the input. No harm intended, and sorry for highjacking the post if I did.

Don't worry about it bud, threadjacking is common place here, and this place is here so we can learn 100% of the facts...haha. There are some guys here that you just flat out don't question, because they already have all those facts...Scott just so happens to be one of them. Me on the other hand, question me all you want...hahaha.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts