Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mystery Noise Has Returned, Remove Dust Shield?

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Well it didnt make a sound on my two hour drive to New Hampshire and now that squeak is back and even worse. I think its the brake dust shields and my dads mechanic agrees. Now i can be driving straight and if the road is slightly uneven it will cause a constant squeak. Its driving me up a wall!!! The shields are very rusted and starting to come apart. Can I try removing them or would that be harmful to the truck? it doesnt look like they are supporting anything, also how are they removed?

Thank you all very much

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
They keep crap off the rotor...I wouldn't run a vehicle without them, but that's me.
I'm guessing they are spot welded on.....did you ask this before or am I having a dejavu?

460Trucker

They keep crap off the rotor...I wouldn't run a vehicle without them, but that's me.
I'm guessing they are spot welded on.....did you ask this before or am I having a dejavu?

Yes I did and I thought I had fixed it as the noise disappeared for two weeks. Looking at it with the wheel cranked I found some nasty chunks of a combo of dirt, grass, and oil caught in the wheel side of the axle shaft. Just spent a few minutes cleaning it all out. I have my doubts that was it though as the squeak sounds mechanical. Even the slightest bump or turn of the wheel to the left causes this rythmic and VERY loud squeak.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

460Trucker

Thank you Charlie! I couldnt find any beforehand, I just may order a set!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
At over $100/side, I'm willing to take my chances. Which isn't to say I'm right...

I must have put 10k miles on my '97 Ranger after I pulled the first side off, and never had any trouble.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Thank you Charlie! I couldnt find any beforehand, I just may order a set!
Before you order them, make sure you are getting them for the proper axle.
Those are for a dana 44. If you have small hubs that's a 44. If your hubs are large, that's a Dana 50

F 250's came with both axles

If in doubt. take a picture of the hub, and post it, we'll let you know which one to order

primetime

sawmill slave
The axle joints will also tell you what it is. Dana 44s have the cap retaining clips on the inside (internal), Dana 50s have them on the outside (external).

460Trucker

It is stamped as a Dana 50 and its IFS. Thanks for all the help guys! Can't thank you all enough. We have one hell of a community of people on here willing to help. smilieFordlogo

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

460Trucker

That changes things a bit
Left side
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-31739-d50-left-brake-dust-shield.html

Right side
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-31739R-d50-right-brake-dust-shield.html

I didn't paint mine, they were galvnized.
I did peal and clean the stickers off them.
They have been on the truck through two winter seasons, and when I pulled the wheels monday, they look like the day I put them on

Awesome, good to know! Even though they are a bit pricey I want that noise gone before it turns into something worse, or causes any damage.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
They go behind the spindle, I just cut em off my 95, ran it for years without em, no need to put new ones on. Most new cars dont even have them anymore

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
If you run in mud you will burn up pads sooner. But My plow truck has not had them for 15 years no issues > plus I have not had small gravel get lodged in pads and sceel since . With covers was once a year.

460Trucker

Good to know, thanks! YelloThumbUp

460Trucker

Finally got it straightened out! Turns out it was a combo of a few things. Me and my neighbor pulled the wheel 4 times trying different things and finally fixed it.

1. Disc was hitting the dust shield, even though they were new. Bent them to fit better.

2. Cleaned out the gunk caught in the caliper

3. The blade-looking keepers on the caliper were pushed out and hitting the wheel. Hammered those back in.

So happy to have that sound gone, been almost a year.

Finally got it straightened out! Turns out it was a combo of a few things. Me and my neighbor pulled the wheel 4 times trying different things and finally fixed it.

1. Disc was hitting the dust shield, even though they were new. Bent them to fit better.

3. The blade-looking keepers on the caliper were pushed out and hitting the wheel. Hammered those back in.

Congratulations Mike!

Those Disc Pad Keepers are odd are they not? They look like some kind of fishing lure!

Now you will just have to find something else to do and this is great as there is always something that needs attention and in my view it is great fun.

However, I know my limitations and with this great bunch of guys and gals on the Forum they are always here to help.

Boon

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month

I bet, that's great Mike YelloThumbUp

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts