Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my new truck (daily driver ) need some mpg help

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
its a 1988 F150 4.9 5 speed and im only getting 11.5 mpgs

where are the best ways to start to get more? if i get 14-15 im happy!

where to start?? ive gone soo deep into the carb world i forgot the basics about these trucks

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor is always a good place to start if you haven't already.

It's easy to not be hitting on all cylinders all the time and not know it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Don't forget an air filter and a fuel filter to make sure everything is flowing smoothly into the engine.

Ryan

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
A 2 wheeled drive should get 16 PLus . I get 15 on a 4x4 . Clean all sensors . And like sai do tune up . Good luck

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
A good tune up and check your tire pressure and alignment, and if you have an overdrive transmission, try using your overdrive whenever possible to reduce your RPMs for a slower revving engine gets better mileage than a high revving engine.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
ha! i wish the gas came from venezuela..! we import it with botes undercover that stuff is like race fuel... i dont know where valero imports the stuff we get at the pumps from but its crap!! smells like kerosine!

ok guys im gonna do a tune up and see if it makes a difference thanks!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Definitely make sure to check the timing, whether or not you decide to do the tune up. Might also want to run some injector cleaner through the tank and maybe seafoam the intake.

Gas Guzzler.

its a 1988 F150 4.9 5 speed and im only getting 11.5 mpgs

where are the best ways to start to get more? if i get 14-15 im happy!

where to start?? ive gone soo deep into the carb world i forgot the basics about these trucks

Hello and good morning.

Even by replacing all of the parts mentioned by the other members the 4.9L has never been a high MPG vehicle so do not expect but a bit more efficiency than you are currently getting.

Boon

Postscript: I will be astonished if you ever reach 15-16 MPG.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
15-16 is very achievable in a single cab 2wd. If you get that engine tuned up right you should be able to approach 20mpg, although I doubt you'll hit 20.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts