Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My new Project

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I found a picture of that on a British car forum? It is an electric fuel pump. I also don't know why it would be used, unless it was a stopgap fix for inadequate feed to the carburetor, for whatever reason.

AC_fuel_pump.jpg

Interesting. Aside from maybe being a quick fix, the only thing I can think of why it might have been added would be to try and prevent vapor lock, but then it was unhooked anyway. Anyway, i have already replaced the mechanical pump, so I'm gonna eliminate it. Thanks Doug.

Buck, Since the courtesy light is so dim and way in the back , I added one of the courtesy lights out of a Bronco with the 2 map lights on the sides. It makes a huge difference. It also helps hold up the headliner. Just saying since you have it apart.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Buck, Since the courtesy light is so dim and way in the back , I added one of the courtesy lights out of a Bronco with the 2 map lights on the sides. It makes a huge difference. It also helps hold up the headliner. Just saying since you have it apart.

That's a good idea!!!! Thanks.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
A little update. I'm slowly making progress. I've started the paint and what a learning curve. I've never painted before so it has been an experience so far. I've had a few runs, a couple bugs and some dust, but overall I think it's turning out pretty good for the most part. I haven't seen a bug all damn winter/spring and sure enough I start painting and they show up, but what do you expect for trying to paint in a small 2 car garage.

I don't know much about paint, but I'm actually impressed with how the acrylic single stage enamel is turning out. It's very glossy and there isn't that much orange peel. AFA the colors, well it isn't turning out like I had hoped. The Beige color (top) is what I expected, but the yellow or should be "BuckSkin Tan" isn't. When I mix it, the color is more tan than when it's sprayed so it looks like a gold or yellow. I'll be curious how it all looks in the sun. Oh well. My wife actually likes it so far and say's it fits the 70s era.

With the cooler weather, it does take 24 hours for the paint to cure enough for tape, so the 2 toning is taking forever it seems with my schedule.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Hey Buck, wondering if you're going to put a lift in it or not....pretty cool though. The color is pretty light but still looks pretty good.

primetime

sawmill slave
Looking good. Don`t worry about the bugs doing the back stroke, they`ll buff out. I know a guy who has painted in 20 and 30 * weather, but for the life of me, I can`t remember what he said he did. I should go talk to him.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Hey Buck, wondering if you're going to put a lift in it or not....pretty cool though. The color is pretty light but still looks pretty good.

No lift. It's a 2wd and going to pull a camper and be a daily worker when I need it. I'll gradually keep fixing things when they go bad and might put on some headers with new exhaust, but that's about it. Nothing special. Ya, the colors are lighter than I wanted, but going just off internet color chips don't help. I went with a gray primer thinking it would darken the colors a bit, but it didn't. Good thing is about the lighter colors are that they should hide some flaws more.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Looks really nice, Buck. Can't wait to see it finished. And I'm glad to hear it will be a daily driver. I ♥ daily drivers.

Looking good - those colours will look great when you've finished ....plenty of coats will allow a lot of leeway when you have to buff out the minor imperfections.
The guy painting caravans and boats in our workshop is using two pack enamel and he's getting the occasional run too - he just shaves them off with a razor blade and buffs the paint back up again...... i was shocked the first time he done that but looking at the result you can't tell where the run was.

Cool! :)

I was just wondering what this was? I cleaned it off a bit and it has
"AC spark plugs" on it. A blue wire that I was wondering about that
wasn't hooked up is attached to it. There is also the selector switch
with the brown wire attached.
2013-03-19_23-10-43_152_zps759d4d3f.jpg

2013-03-19_23-09-59_539_zps226454a5.jpg

Here's my picture of a Bendix 6 volt fuel pump I installed in the early 80's...
bendix6volt.jpg

...push-in the windshield washer button and that fuel pump runs instead. ;)

I never said I wasn't weird-as-anything. xD

That 6 volt fuel pump was old when I got it, it came on a 6 volt dune buggy
I'd bought cheap after the Gila & San Pedro river flood in '83. Converted it to
12 volts right away and found a use for the 6v pump. LOL :)

After installing that and getting used to pushing that button, my '75 360FE
starts -quicker- than my '91 Bronco. The '75 has no choke neither! LOL :)

I'm figuring it has to be tried to be believed?
That's how I was, for sure. :/
But I know better now tho. ;)

Off hand... I'd say that's what {your} pump was for too.
Kicks butt on a vehicle that sits very long between starts,
...or is >110F + low Dew Point = boils the gas out of the carburetor, quick!

{oops <snip> ;}

Alvin in AZ
ps- That AC pump looks upside down to me. Not just because the "AC"
is upside down but because the mud-bog racers that used that style of
pump had 'em the other way, next to each other in parallel.
pps-^They ran alcohol in VW air-cooled engines = no fan, no generator
and no fan shroud, just bare-nekid like a motorcycle engine. ;)
ppps- Keep your dual tanks, IMO. On a long trip, my '75 F150 can go
farther than I can. :) I stop and eat and get gas on -my- schedule not
on the truck's tank/s' schedule. See it? :) ~500miles is all -I- can go. ;)

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Thanks guys. The two toning is taking me longer than I'd thought. I spend more time masking than painting. Way back in November, I took the bed off to fix up some things and then put it back on cuz I wanted to try and get my wifes van inside the garage during winter (I never did). The rear cab and front of the bed had good paint and figured I could save some paint space and just paint the truck with the bed on. But, looking close I could see where the mismatched paint was. To most, it probably wouldn't been noticeable, but I knew so I took the bed back off and now am painting in between to make it all even. Another step involved, but hey, it will be done right.

No progress in the last couple days though. We had a record 14 inch snow storm here in SE Minnesota on May 2nd. Very heavy snow, so digging out took awhile. Now it's raining (supposed to get 1/2 inch) and then 70 degrees by Tuesday. Only in the the Midwest.

Alvin, that makes sense about installing an electric fuel pump to help out with the vapor lock from heat. I've considered doing that with my 77 cuz last year when it was so hot up here, the truck vapor locked a few times.
I'm going back and forth about the dual tanks.

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Made some good progress over the last couple weeks. I spent the better part of last evening and today trying to figure out my tail lights not working, installing a class IV hitch and the wiring. My tail lights worked great when I took everything apart and when I put them back together, I had nothing. My test light showed power at the wire but as soon as I put a bulb in I had still had nothing and test light came on at the ground. My new license plate lights on my bumper worked great. I instantly figured it had to be a bad socket. I messed around forever trying to figure it out and finally I ran a new ground wire from each tail light ground to a ground on the chassis and also installed new marker light sockets since I had a couple extra from my 77 build. I then had tail lights, blinkers, hazards and brake lights. It's amazing what a bad ground can do. I had cleaned the old ground wires and at the ground connection on the bed at the tail lights and nothing. Running a new ground wire from the bed to chassis fixed everything so far.

Anyway, after I spent what seemed like timeless hours figuring my wiring issues I managed to get my quarter window weatherstripping on and my quarter windows installed. Here are a couple pics from yesterday.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'm jealous....what a great second truck to have to compliment your 77.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts