Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my 85 Ford f-150...conversion

OK ,,, Guys,,,,
I bought a 1985 f 150 right straight out of a junk yard several years ago... it had the first year fi induction system (302 ) ....factory stock.... after some time of not getting over 14 mpg. ,,, I converted it over to a 600 cfm carb.... and it runs better and gets better mileage... quite a bit more mileage.... but I would like more,,, I understand that there is a overdrive trans that will basically bolt in...
I am an old Ford mechanic, but I have been out of the loop and dont know which trans it is or how to do the conversion, but I am sure that there is some one on this site that knows.... What is your ideas...????
Doc.....

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
an AOD will be a bolt in conversion.. just need the TV cable and the linkage on carb.

just a suggestion is to build the trans with better clutch packs and a 2" OD band to make it live.

Thanks ,guys,,,, Aod,,, need to start searching for one....
Hey Chris,,, I am in Lawrenceburg , Tn.... is it hard to rig up the tv cable ect.... ??
Roy,,
I went with a ebrock manifold and a stock ford distributer and ign. set up.... used a 600 cfm holley ''shoebox'' carb that I had tricked out.... actually I am a old (71) ford mechanic and fabricator.... I reworked a factory stock buick air cleaner for it.... and fabbed up the linkage and trans kick down brackets.... it all works good.....
I just dont have any experience with the aod trans and its quirks.... I have heard that the tv cable adjustment has to be just right or it will trash the trans for you.....
looking forward to hearing some more from you guys....
Doc.....

Fellro

Staff member

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
lol put the efi back on now

Ford Truck Articles