Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Looking for guidance

I presently wax a 96 F-350 Centurion conversion crew cab 4x4 dually.I would like to swap the fuel injected 300hp 460 to something more gas conserving.The truck is automatic and I never tow more than 10,000. Is there another engine that will match my transmission? This truck is very clean and has 84,000 org miles.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm not sure that any kind of an engine swap is going to get you much for fuel conservation given the vehicle...diesel perhaps, but a lot of work.
Welcome to the site as well smilieFordlogo

Fellro

Staff member
Only thing that shares that bell is the older 351M-400 motors, and fuel efficiency wasn't exactly their forte...

Thanks for the Info, the parts guy at the shop told me I could swap from my 460 to a 302 but i would need a bolt on bell housing from the E4od. Is this true?

Fellro

Staff member
Negative...

E4OD%20DRIVER%20SIDE-DIESEL.JPG

forgetting the swap.

I see the bell does not remove ... so if i leave the 460 in the truck what if anything could be done to improve the fuel mileage? Can it be reprogrammed or something else?:headbang:

Fellro

Staff member
There is only so much that can be done, but free flowing intake and exhaust are a good place to start.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Only way you're going to get a significant gain in fuel economy is with a diesel swap. Cummins swaps are pretty popular these days and there is a lot of aftermarket support for swapping them in if you go that route.

Minimal gains (likely won't pay for cost of parts honestly) can be had in exhaust and intake. A good tune up never hurts either.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I see the bell does not remove ... so if i leave the 460 in the truck what if anything could be done to improve the fuel mileage? Can it be reprogrammed or something else?:headbang:

Best way to save fuel is to either swap in a diesel or park it and find something smaller. The 460 wasn't known for great MPG. My 85 has done a best of 12mpg with a ZF and a VERY light foot.

As much as I like the PSD, a Cummins is better in the MPG category,

Fellro

Staff member
That's somewhat the point, it can be done on a budget.

Fellro

Staff member
That again is above and beyond the base engine. A lot of people are scared off by the electronics as well. The nice thing with the mechanical Cummins motors is that they are easy to work with and not as expensive to keep going. It all depends on the intended use and the skill level of the person working on it. There also is a bit to be said for being able to run a motor with a dead alternator for a long ways. The 92 was run for 2 weeks recently with a nearly non-functional alternator. How long will a P-Stroke last without a battery? The Cummins can be converted to have a manual shut off like a tractor and run all day with no charge at all. Now the 24V of course falls in the same category, due to the computer control.

Ford Truck Articles