Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

late model F-150 questions

Hello all,

This is not for me!

My dad wants to get rid of his 88 f-150 and get a later model one. He has been looking online and in newspapers for the last couple of weeks. Most of the ones he calls about are already sold or have serious problems. LOL

The 99s look like the 01s to me. When did this body style start and stop (if is has)?

The 2000 he is currently checking on is supposed to have a 5.4 V8. What engine is this? That is a new one to me. 302=5.0 and 351=5.8 the last I knew. I'm old school...I drive a Y-block....[confused]

It is an automatic..so what transmission might be in it? How many forward gears and is it overdrive?

Are there any specific things I need to look for when (if) we go look at this truck? It is a 4X4, extended cab (4 door-two small rear ones).

It is fairly loaded (which he doesn't really want), so are there problem areas with anything specific?

What sort of code would I look for to see if it has a track-lock rear axle (for that matter what gears might it have?)? the explorer has a "D" in the code for a track-lock./

Sort of off topic (but funny): The first thing dad told me about it was that it was an ugly color! I asked what color it was and what year? He said it is a 2000 and its that ugly ford beige color. Gee thanks dad...that ugly ford beige color is what my 01 explorer is.......:headbang:

Last edited:
The 5.4 is 330 c.i.d., The Transmission mostly used in 2000 was the E4OD, a 4 speed, although some c-6 trannies were still available.
I really am not qualified on these enough to tell you when the styles changed, tho. And as for what to look for, one thing I always look at on used pickups is the bed alignment. It can be a good indicator of if it's been in a wreck or otherwise misused. It's easy enough to spot; just stick your finger between the cab and bed on one side, then IMMEDIATELY go on the other and do the same. there should be no noticeable difference, given that it was properly fit to start with (most of them are)
axle boots, drips, etc... run it long enough to get it good and warm then pop the hood and smel for antifreeze. Also make sure to check the fluids; if they need changing NOW, how much did the guy let it slide in the past?

You know all this stuff.

Your Dad MAY have been saying the "UGLY" thing TONGUE-IN-CHEEK, tho...

Thanks Tom. That much helps. 330...Hmm...new one on me! [confused]

I know what to look for as far as previous body damage. Dad does too. We rebuilt too many totalled vehicles to not be able to spot repairs a mile away. :rofl:

We will look for leaks and things of that nature. I know we will drive it quite a ways and play with all the buttons and everything (including the 4X4 part).

I actully hope it is the E4OD rather than the C6. The C6 is bullet proof, but gets lousy mileage. :headbang:

As far as the ugly comment...he was being very serious. I know my dad well enough to tell. After I said that is what mine is...he backed down and said...well its not that bad (loud sigh) I GUESS. :spank:

These questions sort of apply to all of the ones he has looked at so far. Well...other than the specific engine size one. He has been looking at 99+ model years (that I know about).

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Not sure where you got your numbers Tom. The E4OD was replaced by the 4R100 sometime around 96-98. The C6 also stopped getting used somewhere around this time. I'm betting that this truck has the 4R100 (very similar to the e4od) which is a 4 speed (3 w/ overdrive), I believe it might also be possible that it has an AODE (or one of it's descendants), but it is going to be a 4 speed transmission either way.

The 5.4L is one of the first modular engines (along with the 4.6L and 6.8L) that Ford started putting into these trucks (5.0L and 5.8L engines that you're familiar with are pushrod engines). Most of us pushrod guys believe that the pushrod engines are better built for handling power and thus more reliable engines in heavy duty applications. I'm not sure if that's just a biased opinion or a statement of fact but I have heard that the modulars are pretty prone to problems. They switched to modular (and the other body style) in 97. You can read all about the different generations here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series#Tenth_generation_.281997.E2.80.932003.2F2004.29

Last edited:
Cool link Chris.

The basic 5.4 L Triton is built in Windsor, Ontario at the Windsor Engine plant. As of 2004, it was used in most Ford trucks. It has a cast iron engine block and aluminum SOHC 2-valve cylinder heads. It uses multi-port fuel injection, roller rockers, fracture-split powder metal connecting rods, forged steel crankshaft and an assembled reinforced plastic intake manifold.

Output for the 1999 and later model years was 260 hp (194 kW) at 4500 rpm with 350 ft·lbf (474 Nm) of torque at 2500 rpm.

It should be similar (SOHC) to my 4.0 SOHC in my explorer. I have mixed feelings about mine. It runs well and produces a lot of power (for its size), but the design seems fragile. Too many "drive chains" in it. I think there are 4 or five in mine. Ford had a lot of issues with the early ones in the explorers.

I am very familiar with the AODE (or one of its ancestors anyway). I have rebuilt several older AODs and one AODE. They are OK, but not really a heavy duty truck trans...then again..dad does not use his as a real truck. :rofl:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I'm not sure I like the idea of having all the different drive chains. And did you read the end of that first paragraph in your quote... Plastic intake manifold!??! Hmmmmmmm... I don't like it, don't like it at all :p

Yeah I'm not sure I like the idea of having all the different drive chains. And did you read the end of that first paragraph in your quote... Plastic intake manifold!??! Hmmmmmmm... I don't like it, don't like it at all :p

No...I don't like it either. My brother had a 94 (?) T-bird with the 4.6 in it. It had a plastic intake [confused]

So far I have not had any issues with the chains in mine (96K), but the earlier 4.0 SOHC engines were recalled for replacement. Mine was the one made after the recall cost ford.

Yep....you have to pull the engine to replace the rear ones...guess that is better than the whole body (on an explorer).

Not sure where you got your numbers Tom. The E4OD was replaced by the 4R100 sometime around 96-98. The C6 also stopped getting used somewhere around this time. I'm betting that this truck has the 4R100 (very similar to the e4od) which is a 4 speed (3 w/ overdrive), I believe it might also be possible that it has an AODE (or one of it's descendants), but it is going to be a 4 speed transmission either way.

The 5.4L is one of the first modular engines (along with the 4.6L and 6.8L) that Ford started putting into these trucks (5.0L and 5.8L engines that you're familiar with are pushrod engines). Most of us pushrod guys believe that the pushrod engines are better built for handling power and thus more reliable engines in heavy duty applications. I'm not sure if that's just a biased opinion or a statement of fact but I have heard that the modulars are pretty prone to problems. They switched to modular (and the other body style) in 97. You can read all about the different generations here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series#Tenth_generation_.281997.E2.80.932003.2F2004.29
My numbers came from the Cab & Chassis models we were buying in 99 for conversion to light delivery cube trucks. maybe THAT was the exception, but I guar-dam-tee ya they were C6's. Still a couple around I can show ya.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Brian you are in my area of knowledge now...LOL (when you teardown 3 motors you start to find out different things!)

The 99s look like the 01s to me. When did this body style start and stop (if is has)? the body style is good from 1997- 2004(only on the heritage edition in '04 though)

The 2000 he is currently checking on is supposed to have a 5.4 V8. What engine is this? The 5.4 is anywhere between a 330 and a 333 depending on bore and such.

It is an automatic..so what transmission might be in it? It should have the 4R70W in it they are good trans they hold up well but when you start to get some miles on them(about 150,000-200,000) the have a tendency to blow the forward overdrive gear into about 3 peices common problem on them with high miles.

How many forward gears and is it overdrive?

Are there any specific things I need to look for when (if) we go look at this truck? If the truck has not been driven by me (LOL) then there should be no problems with the motor or drivetrain. one thing I always do is check in the frame rails for mud and such. they can pretty up the motor but the never get the underside by the frame!

It is fairly loaded so are there problem areas with anything specific? I love the leather seats in them and am working on having custom leather put in mine. the interiors are great.

What sort of code would I look for to see if it has a track-lock rear axle? the only way it would have a limited slip and 3.73's is if it is the off-road package. unless specially ordered from the factory with limited and 4.10's

The plastic intake is fine for daily driving and towing and such its when you get into the high performance stuff like me that you find it hard to get anything but.

I hope this helps brian.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
should be a decent truck for him then.

F150

easy
Here's the door axle codes:
19=3:55 open
H9=3:55 LS (limited slip)
26=3:73 open
B6=3:73 LS
27=3:31 open
18=3:08 open
25=4:10 open
B5=4:10 LS

That's the 2v motor, known for spark plug blow out, cam phazer noise, startup rattle, low HP/torque :blah: :blah: :blah: But a pretty good all round truck.... I had a 2000 4x4offroad with the 4.6 motor with no troubles at all. Started the rear end whine at about 70k miles.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts