Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

keyless entry

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I need to erase the existing keyless entry door code on a '99 Explorer, and program in a new one. I don't know the original factory code, and may or may not be able to find out the one that's been programmed in since then.

Can I do this, and if so, how?

Thanks!

John112Deere,
Try posting this up in the tech forum where the techs are sure to see it.....I'll bet they give you the correct info...

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Someone will correct me if I am wrong but there should be a master code printed on something up underneath the dash. I think you can use that code OR use it to program a new code in. Check your owners manual as I think it tells you where the code is and how to change it.

EDIT:
Well I just looked for the code underneath the dash of my truck and could not find it. The owners manual says that it should be printed on the computer control module, where ever the hell they hid that thing. It also says your local Ford dealership should be able to tell you pretty quick what the factory code is. If I read it right the factory code can not be erased but a new code can be input (to work in addition to the factory code) BUT you need the factory code to do that. Looks like a trip to the dealership unless you can find the computer control module.

Last edited:

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
open the liftgate and take off the access cover for the jack. behind the cover wil be a module with 2 connectors up in the corner. there will be a 5 digit number below the part number on the sticker. you will need a bright flashlight and a good set of eyes.

now within programing the new code- lock the doors and use the factory code to unlock the doors. when the doors unlock, press the 1/2 button and enter your new 5 digit code. wait a second and try out the new code. just remember, when the battery gets disconnected, you will need to reprogram your code as it will be erased. i have heard some people say it has never happened to them but i know what the factory says. good luck.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
OK, thanks.

I'm doing this as a favor for a relative, and I won't be able to get to the car until mid-May, but Mom wanted me to see if I could do it without going to a dealer. I'll let you know how it goes when I try...

Well I just looked for the code underneath the dash of my truck and could not find it. The owners manual says that it should be printed on the computer control module, where ever the hell they hid that thing..
Aaron, I realize yours is much newer than mine, but unless they've moved the PCM, it's behind the Epedal to the left.

The controller for MY keyless is behind my glovebox.

Not to confuse anyone... this post was for Aaron, lol...

On my 01 it is in the back in the compartment where the jack is stored. You need a mirror and be part contortionist to read the factory code though.
I have a hard time with close quarters like that, so I have come up with a couple ideas that work...
my best tool is my flashlight and my video camera. the Vid Cam takes better closeups than most of my others, and reads it in lower light, too. sometimes I have to use a mirror as well, and that becomes a balancing act, but i got this mini tripod that sits the cam on a flat surface that helps when I'm trying to read the pcm code on our superduties.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts