Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Key Switch Question

90 F250
I understand that to pull subject you merely need to insert a small punch in to the hole on the bottom side of the steering shroud, slanted towards the switch. I have found the hole but can not feel what it is that I'm supposed to press to release the switch. My purpose in needing to remove is that the key is stuck in the switch. The rod is not disconnected as the switch does turn and I removed the lower shroud for a visual. That said, can anyone advise as to what may be keeping the switch from being removed? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

blacksnapon

Staff member
You have to put the switch in the "on" position then press the pin to remove the switch.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
He ment to say RUN position.then push the button in and pull the switch straight out

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
make sure you disconnect the battery first...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You do know that with a manual transmission, you have to push the button in on the other side of the column to turn the switch all the way off.
To find the button, hold the key with your right hand, and take your left hand and push the button in that is between the turn signal switch, and the steering wheel

I say this, because I looked in your gallery at the picture of the interior of your truck, and see you have a manual transmission.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Maybe you can swing by his house and help him Sparky!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
he be quite some distance from me...

Shucks....Just can't find the thang...I've been in the hole just south of the turn signal but can not feel a button. I've now removed the steering wheel for a look see from the top. I have taken a small screw driver to the bottom side of the key switch in hope of finding the button. From what I can tell the key switch is a solid surface across the bottom side. So now I'm really confused. The steering wheel appears to be stock as does all the shrouds....but now I'm really confused about what I'm dealing with. So, let me shift gears for a moment....I know someone has messed with starter/battery wiring as the ground off the block is frayed and was not even connected to the battery...They had a battery cable running from the body over to the positive battery post. They then ran a battery cable from the negative post to the solenoid. Now I'm a bit challenged on electrical stuff but it appears this is bass ackward. It would seem I should remove these two cables and install a new ground cable from block to negative on battery. Right? Lastly, does anyone have a good source on wiring diagram for the 90 F250-I6?
Oh...DustyBumpers....Are you saying that there is a button on the left side of the column that has to be pushed in order to remove the key?

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yup. you have to push that button in, and turn the key to off. the key will then come out.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No problem, glad to help.
Just a note, in 95, they put the button on the right, by the key switch.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
The reason for this little device, is to make the truck theft proof. You have to get everything lined up, so the steering locks. The automatic steering column does this when you put the lever in park.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts