Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

just picked up a 10/77 F250 4x4

VIN is X26...
Is this a typo? All I can find for Ford truck vin's all start with an "F".

Someone has done an engine swap, it has a 351C 2V engine in it now. Lots of rust in the normal places.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
It must be a supercab. "X" in the VIN designates a supercab.

Pictures would be nice. We like pictures.

You can also reference the link below for decoding the VIN. The complete 1978 Ford shop manual is posted in this section also for your perusal.

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26820

Last edited:
pics

It is an extended cab, s code for engine, but it has a 2bbl cleveland, 2's on the heads, eight v/c bolts and the top hose goes into the block.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Sounds like it could be a 351M / 400 to me, for my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat has the S code in the vin, and the first year for the 351M / 400 was 1977 for I had the same engine in a 77 F-350 Custom one ton dually with a 10 foot flat bed

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
351C and 351M/400 have some similarities being in the same engine family. My assumption would be it is still the 400. Measure the stroke, take a look at the bell housing, among other things will quickly tell if its a C or 400.

Now I am totally confused.

I reread the wiki info, and found that the 400 used the same heads as the cleveland. Did ford continue to put the number "2" in the corners of the heads
for the 400 engine?

I also read that the 400 emgine is prone to detonation. Is the 400 engine a POS?
Id so, what should I replace it with?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The Ford 400 engine has suffered a lot of bad press. The engine has a lot of potential, but was designed for torque as the primary consideration. The website below shows some of the potential of the 400 motor. Tim Meyer is a member of this site and often contributes.

http://www.tmeyerinc.com/

Doing something as simple(relatively) as changing the timing setup can improve the operation of the engine.

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34193

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
With 136hp 302's, 170hp 400's and 195hp 460's...there aren't many that I wouldn't say are a POS during the era. And yes, 2v C heads are nearly identical to M/400 heads.

I got it running!

It runs great too. I am going to find a 4bbl intake and carb for it. After doing some more research, I have found that the 351c intake and the 400 intake do not interchange.

My confusion is still why would the heads on this 400 have the 2V castings on the top corners, the same casting Id that was used for the 351C heads?

As usual, any and all help is needed and appreciated.

keithgonzales

keithgonzales

The 400 engine is a fine engine and has a lot of potential. The engine is great for a truck you plan on working a little. I have a 400 with and edlebrock 4bbl intake. Lunati RV style cam straight up timing gears and MSD distributor and ignition box. You should be looking in the 330 to 350 HP range. I luv mine. It has lots of torque for pulling the toys around. Stay with it.

I'm thinking fat cam as well.

It is a std trans and I like the lope! Whick manifold and carb did you go with?
Do your heads have the #2 cast on the top corners?

My 1979 F-150 stepside 4x4 with a 400M with a Edlebrock 4bbl, Holley 570 cfm, Summit mid range cam straight up timing, headers , HEI distributor and dual exhaust was run on a chassis dyno. Rear wheel corrected numbers are; torque @ 303 and hp @ 193. Gear ratio is 3.50 , a C-6 trans and 33-10.50-15 tires.

I have a stock 400m 2 barrel in my 78 f250 with c6! Not sure on the hp but it does ok , I did find a fuel injected 92 460 that I may try to increase my mpg! my last check was 6.4 mpg UG!! no smoke no smell , thinking i blew the power valve again... Does the c6 bolt pattern stay the same for the 400 m and the 460??

The difference between Gross HP (Engine flywheel) and Rear Wheel HP can be any where from 25-30%. This is due to losses thru all the drive train.
My engine was built more towards mid range power for street use and everyday driving.
The Edelbrock is the Performer, carb is Holley 4150 Street Avenger 570cfm, cam is Comp Cam 255DEH-10, headers unknown (they were on the truck when I bought it)

Found a long block 400,

with a 4 bbl intake. Now all I need is to find a reputable shop to poke it in.
It has the stock looking timing set on it, is it possible to dial in the cam with that set, or do I need to get a roller chain set up? How do I go about making sure the cam is timed properly for max power? Thanks! F O T

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts