Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Just a little about mrfixit (Tom)

Hi, I'm Tom- and I'm a learnaholic.

Seriously, I get asked on occasion how I know what I know and how I don't know what I don't=

Its complicated.

This is in no way comprehensive: I've done a lot in my life. If I have left something out, I'm sorry.

Cleaning, I know. My pre-trucker days and my handyman jobs have taught me a lot- hence the "mrfixit" moniker. I was a Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner both full-time and part-time after college and while I was in Radio, since radio didn't pay a truly living wage.
Since I was in so many homes on a daily basis, I kept running into people who needed jobs done around the house, and took on whatever I could. Sometimes, this meant working with other contractors, plumbers and electricians, so I learned even more.
When I left Radio, I spent a short time on Long Island, NY, and was hired at a chemical supply company because, of course, my experience with Carpet, upholstery, and bare floor cleaning.
I was put to work in the service area, repairing machines- something I had to do to my own machines, so I was familiar with the how-tos.
Safety Kleen hired me away from them, liking my chemical and mechanical knowledge plus my communication experience, and I was an assistant environmental engineer, acting as branch laison with EPA,DOT, OSHA, DNR, And a dozen other sets of initials.
Got really tired of the crap on Long Island, tried to transfer, only to be told that my supervisor would never let me go... So I got rebellious and looked around for what I could find that would allow me to live almost wherever I chose- Trucking was the only thing that would even come close to meeting my pay grade, so there went I.
Over the road, I learned even more, as I would travel to many different businesses and industries, and would always be asking for a tour of the place to deter boredom while waiting.
In the struggle to find suitable employment after my injury, I have studied, learned and investigated many different ways I might be able to make a living and not have to struggle for social security. As it has turned out, I was able to pull from my Radio days one marketable skill for a gimp- Writing.
I write copy for web pages, writing for many commercial radio ads in the area, and technical writing, where I have to take large, impersonal, mostly mechanical ideas and make them interesting on the web and in the manuals. I've learned a lot that way, even in just the last few years.
I much prefer watching PBS to commercial television, but am not a die-hard fan of either. When a question comes to mind, I search for the answer wherever it may be found- I am not above giving a business a call and picking their brain for details and interesting stories about their products... All of which helps me as I struggle to build this business.
I've been hospitalized a few times and have 3 chronic illnesses, I'm going blind in my right eye and am clinically fighting depression- so I understand illnesses and frustration. I've been divorced once and I had 2 sons whose mother refused to let me see them until she couldn't stop it anymore, and have known the joy of being reunited with them. In the meantime I was the adoptive father of a boy whose real father abandoned and ignored him, only to later try and reunite with him with the emotional upheaval that causes.
I've had several problems in my marriage of 26 years, buy I've witnessed 3 births, with one of them at home. I have never cheated on my marriage, but know what it feels like to want to.
My brother-in-law, a professional pharmacologist, destroyed his life with alcohol and drugs and wound up dying alone in an apartment where my wife found him lying in a pool of his own blood, and I saw what the real horror of it all does to her.
Through it all, my Faith is the only thing that has kept me, literally, ALIVE. Even then, my learning there is not over- I learn more every day!
Over all these years, the only times I have taken my vehicles or equipment to a shop are when I do not have the necessary equipment or time to handle it- sometimes when I was out on the road, or (more recently) I don't have the shop or physical function. Again, what I didn't know, I looked up. I've gotten a lot of scars and made a lot of errors, but the errors only reinforced how it should have been done.
So- for those of you who wonder how and why, these are just the tip of the iceberg in what makes me what and who I am:)

May God have mercy on my soul.

Last edited:
I empathize ..

You and I share somewhat the same life experiences.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
wow tom, very eye opening read there.
Seems that you still bring the positive things to the table though... thats good to know, and its good of you to do!
Keep on goin man.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
you led a interesting a very interesting life.
as far as the adoption goes. My step dad adopted me when i was older so i see that sort of light from this angle. if my bio dad tried re-unite with me...id probably kick his *** or thank him...ive had a good life thus far

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Keep doin what your doin Tom, you seem to be handling your problems well.
Most folks would buckle under pressures like that. But keep holding your head up high and keep looking at the positives in life!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Tom's a top-notch guy. I don't care what they say. ;)

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Tom's a top-notch guy. I don't care what they say. ;)

Ryan
smilieIagree I've had the pleasure of speaking to Tom on the phone several times and he's a real standup guy. Would love to sit and pick his brain all day-- but dammit that radio voice of his is intimidating :rofl:

Tom-- Brad warned me that your voice/vocabulary was so quaffed and articulate that I would think I was speaking to a recording or some kind of machine. He was right :rofl:

smilieIagree I've had the pleasure of speaking to Tom on the phone several times and he's a real standup guy. Would love to sit and pick his brain all day-- but dammit that radio voice of his is intimidating :rofl:

Tom-- Brad warned me that your voice/vocabulary was so quaffed and articulate that I would think I was speaking to a recording or some kind of machine. He was right :rofl:

smiliewhathesaid Tom has an incredibly well modulated radio announcer voice.....not the "Wolfman Jack" type and definitely not like "Billy Mays"! :rofl2:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Geez Tom. You also know how to burst a guys bubble. I opened this and began to read thinking I was gonna tease you about something in it, but I just sit in awe and think, why am I depressed sometimes. There's people in this world that have been through so much worse and yet, bounce back. Honestly, I don't know how you manage to do that. You are one simply amazing man.

I have also had the pleasure of talking to Tom on the phone. We had a simple misunderstanding in a post on here once and I got very upset. When I finally got to talk to him, well, it was amazing. This man could calm down a starved cheetah and keep him from turning him into lunch! He has an incredible way with words and the experience to understand just about anything.

Thanks for all you do here Tom. You'd been missed and I'm so glad to see you back again!

Alright, dangit! I got the roof fixed and there's STILL a leak in here! Danged onions. Leftover fumes from last night.... or Habanero sauce on my hankies here... yeah that's the ticket... water works from habanero hankies.
Got in my eye, it did!
What can I say? (too much, sometimes) At least with Donna in florida she won't see me blubbering about this.
Yall are just too kind, and the best friends I've ever had.
There are times where help takes more than money, and I guess my background allows me to see the forest for the trees, at times. So, while "silver and gold have I none, so such as I have, I give to you." (that's BIBLE, not Yoda)
I won't be taking off again- it was silly to think that REAL friends would forsake me, and you haven't, and yet I owe a deep appreciation and gratitude to all of you.
Thanks, to ALL of you.
And hey- not that it comes up all that often, but my services are free to any FTF member, here. Copy, commercials- You name it:)

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
It is good to see ya back in the saddle Tom.

Many of us originals here at FTF have wandered away for one reason or another for a bit, but always manage to find our way back.

Welcome back!

Who'da thunk, eh?
Bunch of rag-tags from all over the country, hangin' together all this time? I know more about yall than I know about my High-School Classmates!

Hi, I'm Tom- and I'm a learnaholic.

Seriously, I get asked on occasion how I know what I know and how I don't know what I don't=

Its complicated.

This is in no way comprehensive: I've done a lot in my life. If I have left something out, I'm sorry.

Cleaning, I know. My pre-trucker days and my handyman jobs have taught me a lot- hence the "mrfixit" moniker. I was a Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner both full-time and part-time after college and while I was in Radio, since radio didn't pay a truly living wage.
Since I was in so many homes on a daily basis, I kept running into people who needed jobs done around the house, and took on whatever I could. Sometimes, this meant working with other contractors, plumbers and electricians, so I learned even more.
When I left Radio, I spent a short time on Long Island, NY, and was hired at a chemical supply company because, of course, my experience with Carpet, upholstery, and bare floor cleaning.
I was put to work in the service area, repairing machines- something I had to do to my own machines, so I was familiar with the how-tos.
Safety Kleen hired me away from them, liking my chemical and mechanical knowledge plus my communication experience, and I was an assistant environmental engineer, acting as branch laison with EPA,DOT, OSHA, DNR, And a dozen other sets of initials.
Got really tired of the crap on Long Island, tried to transfer, only to be told that my supervisor would never let me go... So I got rebellious and looked around for what I could find that would allow me to live almost wherever I chose- Trucking was the only thing that would even come close to meeting my pay grade, so there went I.
Over the road, I learned even more, as I would travel to many different businesses and industries, and would always be asking for a tour of the place to deter boredom while waiting.
In the struggle to find suitable employment after my injury, I have studied, learned and investigated many different ways I might be able to make a living and not have to struggle for social security. As it has turned out, I was able to pull from my Radio days one marketable skill for a gimp- Writing.
I write copy for web pages, writing for many commercial radio ads in the area, and technical writing, where I have to take large, impersonal, mostly mechanical ideas and make them interesting on the web and in the manuals. I've learned a lot that way, even in just the last few years.
I much prefer watching PBS to commercial television, but am not a die-hard fan of either. When a question comes to mind, I search for the answer wherever it may be found- I am not above giving a business a call and picking their brain for details and interesting stories about their products... All of which helps me as I struggle to build this business.
I've been hospitalized a few times and have 3 chronic illnesses, I'm going blind in my right eye and am clinically fighting depression- so I understand illnesses and frustration. I've been divorced once and I had 2 sons whose mother refused to let me see them until she couldn't stop it anymore, and have known the joy of being reunited with them. In the meantime I was the adoptive father of a boy whose real father abandoned and ignored him, only to later try and reunite with him with the emotional upheaval that causes.
I've had several problems in my marriage of 26 years, buy I've witnessed 3 births, with one of them at home. I have never cheated on my marriage, but know what it feels like to want to.
My brother-in-law, a professional pharmacologist, destroyed his life with alcohol and drugs and wound up dying alone in an apartment where my wife found him lying in a pool of his own blood, and I saw what the real horror of it all does to her.
Through it all, my Faith is the only thing that has kept me, literally, ALIVE. Even then, my learning there is not over- I learn more every day!
Over all these years, the only times I have taken my vehicles or equipment to a shop are when I do not have the necessary equipment or time to handle it- sometimes when I was out on the road, or (more recently) I don't have the shop or physical function. Again, what I didn't know, I looked up. I've gotten a lot of scars and made a lot of errors, but the errors only reinforced how it should have been done.
So- for those of you who wonder how and why, these are just the tip of the iceberg in what makes me what and who I am:)

May God have mercy on my soul.

Hey!!! Ya left the chapter of your life out when you had the mullet!!!!smilietease

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Sure is good to see you posting again Tom. This place has needed you bad...

Welcome back brother!

Ford Truck Articles