Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Is the Ford Raptor Overpriced?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've always thought it's overrated for what it is. Sure it's one of the most functional factory 4x4's ever produced...and sure it has Raptor specific accessories. But, it is still a stock truck...I firmly believe you can build far more for much less. If you simply want it for status symbol at the mall or grocery store (which is where I've seen 98% of them)...go for it. If you're buying it to be a dedicated wheeler...forget it. If you're looking for a weekend warrior, I think you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
theyre a little high priced for what you get, i would love to have one dont get me wrong but id be much more influenced to get one if it were closer to the lariat pricetag

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
it's not overpriced cause people buy them.. i dont care who buys them.. if theyre priced and people buy them... they arent overpriced..

how can it be overpriced if most lot's cant even keep them on the lot..

Fellro

Staff member
Yeah, well, the PT Cruiser was selling out when it was new too... ;) and they sold for 2-3 times the sticker price at that time.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
either way i still slobber everytime i see a new 2013 at my local dealer(s)....they didnt have one on the lot at the time i was looking... or i might have gone on an impulse and grabbed it... they had a hd edition or two.... but im not much of a fan of harley badges and stickers every where.. im not big on harleys or motorcycles in general.... id love a harley if it were decked out and suped up...minus the harley crap.. so basically a lightning haha! i guess most of us say they are over priced because we are green with envy for not having one.. i know thats my case

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Ive Got to agree with Ben....Overpriced and over rated..The reason you dont see them on a lot. Limited production runs.Would these rigs last 30+yrs on the road of daily service...I highly dought it....

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah, well, the PT Cruiser was selling out when it was new too... ;) and they sold for 2-3 times the sticker price at that time.

Yeah and didn't Ernie state that people were paying more than sticker price for Hyundai Genesises or something too, a while back. There's a buyer for everything, and you don't have to be smart to have money.

Ive Got to agree with Ben....Overpriced and over rated..The reason you dont see them on a lot. Limited production runs.Would these rigs last 30+yrs on the road of daily service...I highly dought it....

Yeah...the first year of production...didn't the US border patrol buy up like 70% of them???

If one of you guy's buy one and send it out i'll road test it for the next couple of years and let you know:D

BuzzGun79

If one of you guy's buy one and send it out i'll road test it for the next couple of years and let you know:D

LOL Mark...Dont get me wrong im not bashing the vehicle..I just cannot justify the expense of it or any new vehicle as far as that goes..for the money that they reqiure us to pay for these rides there should be no early issues with any of them along with longevity..Unfortunatly that is not always the case...

I know its way out of my price range, but if I could I would buy one. Up here I think they run around the $60 000 mark. I met a guy who bought one and he is in construction, so its also his work truck wich he hasn't had any issues with. His buddies who hunt with him love the truck for hunting. They put lots of miles on going through cuts where the roads aren't the best looking for moose. The Raptor has no problem doing what they want it to. And this is coming from Chevy guys. I think any truck over the FX4 level is just for show and not worth the price tag. At least this truck your paying for performance and not just a plastic wood grain dash.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
once again.. how can you complain about a 45-55k dollar truck that is absolutely bar none best EVER off-road production truck.. has over 400 hp and tq...

comes factory with big tires, lift, and all the worlds creature comforts..

^^^
all under warranty..

when a Super Duty thats just as well equiped is in the 60-70k range..

and a reg F150 thats lifted, big tires, 6.2, or even if you Supercharge the 5.0,

all of which voids warranty...

your still talking 35k ish. for a 5.0 FX4. plus supercharger if wanted.. 7k or so, (not needed but would be nice in the big truck) plus tune. plus big tires 1500 or so.. plus wheels, plus lift.... your well over what the stock raptor is pulling..

and once again.. none of it's warrantied..

and you still dont get the extra features or RESALE value of the Raptor..

BuzzGun79

^^ you do have valid points Chris...i understand that..im not telling anyone not to buy by all means...But i myself would rather build for that kind of scratch than to buy.. 50k can buy some pretty steller pieces today in the aftermarket along with the cushy comfort im not impressed by all that stuff personally.....warranty's do end my friend and parts will fail and be costly.whats the resale going to be down the road when the vehicle has high mileage along with off road useage time will tell the story..The Raptor is a nice rig....I completely understand that there are those who would rather buy...nothing wrong with that either...Just in case get the extended warranty on it...

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I would say neither, the hype was mostly from the general public even Ford says its not meant to be a full on balls to the walls trophy truck, it does everything Ford said it would not what some dumba** does to abuse it then b**ch about it when it breaks. Nor over priced, they sell like hotcakes and are still thousands cheaper than the top package and they are a better status symbol to boot, IMHO.

Not a fair comparision IMO, the F-Series of the same generation has FAR better quality and resale than a pos PT...

Ford Truck Articles