Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

If you were going to buy a new truck...

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Like the title says. If you were going to buy a NEW truck what kinds of things would you look for, want?

And when I say NEW I mean NEW not "new to you", something off the showroom floor being sold as "NEW". I would even except dealer demo with a few (5000 miles or less) miles on them.

I am in the market for a new truck. We could spend days and numerous pages on the psychology of why I want/need a new truck but that is not really the point here. I can afford it and I want it.

Things I am looking for in my new truck (in no particular order):
*crew cab is a must not only because I have small children but also for ease of carrying passengers.
*Leather is a 99% must, not because I am a rich snob but because I like the feel of it and again back to the small kids issue, it is easy to clean and maintain.
*Navigation, yeah I can read a map and my iphone will take me anywhere I want to go but I want the ability of having nav FACTORY looking in my vehicle for me and for others that may drive it.
*Automatic, California driving, nuff said.
*5.4L or better engine. I'm not looking for an economy car or a 6 cylinder. I want a decent engine that makes decent power that will go anywhare I want it to. I have had a diesel and would go back to one if the right deal came along but I do not NEED to have one.
*4x4 is something I want though don't necessarily need. I had it in my superduty and used it more often then I thought I would. I guess it is the boy scout in me that wants to be prepared.
*Power everything because I am a lazy bastard that embraces the new technology even if it means more parts to break. That's why I have a warranty.
*SYNC, I want that new technology because I am kinda geeky that way and again I know all that same stuff can be accomplished with aftermarket but I really am about the "Factory Look" inside my truck.
*Fits in my garage is a 99% must. I like to park in the garage and keep the paint nice and the car cool or warm regardless of the weather outside. Superduty's don't fit in my garage which puts them on the very outskirts of consideration and the whole "don't really need it" thing.
*Color--anything but "Oxford White"
* Tow package and if it had the built in factory brake controller even better.

Maybe I'm a snob, who knows, but I like all the comforts and luxuries afforded by newer vehicles.

What about you guys.

One word...

RAPTOR

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
4 door
4x4
diesel
leather
sync with nav
probably go with a blue or green on color, maybe black.
tow packadge
Electric everything...
F-350 srw
or 450 drw...

I'd get a F-350 Lariat SRW 4x4 Super Cab short bed
6.8 V10
4.30LS Rear
Auto
10,000 GVWR package
Camper package
FX4 package
Snow Plow package

I want my 82 F-150 except new. It's weird because I have new trucks to drive but I grab the keys to the old Ford first. It just fits me so well. It's definetely my favorite truck. A lot of people say it's stupid of me to drive this truck while my employees drive brand new trucks. It's my money, and I choose to drive my 82.

Some people just don't understand lifestyle choices like this. Oh well. Their loss I suppose.

It's an XLT with manual windows, locks and a rubber floor. Supercab (that back seat is nice because it folds into a steel load floor) and a long box. So I can haul passengers and cargo.

The 4x4 is great. The 351W V-8 gives me lots of power. The 4 speed makes it fun to drive. Half ton is a good compromise between ride quality and payload.

Very reliable truck. Good on fuel too. This week I made it double it's previous fuel economy, so it's cheaper to drive now.

So I'd like a 2010 F-150 Super cab, long box, 4x4 in white. Give me the 5.4 and a 5 speed stick. Six speed if youre feeling generous. Make it an XLT so I get the nice grille and comfy seats. Please delete the power windows and give me a crank. Delete the power locks and mirrors while you're at it. All I need is a keyhole on the lassenger side door, and once my mirrors are set I leave them be.

Since I'm dreaming get rid of that hydraulic clutch and give me a cable/mechanically actuated one with really heavy springs. I'd also like a tach in this one.

So Ford Motor Company, if you could build me this truck new I'd be much obliged.

100_0128.jpg

I want my 82 F-150 except new. It's weird because I have new trucks to drive but I grab the keys to the old Ford first. It just fits me so well. It's definetely my favorite truck. A lot of people say it's stupid of me to drive this truck while my employees drive brand new trucks. It's my money, and I choose to drive my 82.

Some people just don't understand lifestyle choices like this. Oh well. Their loss I suppose.

It's an XLT with manual windows, locks and a rubber floor. Supercab (that back seat is nice because it folds into a steel load floor) and a long box. So I can haul passengers and cargo.

The 4x4 is great. The 351W V-8 gives me lots of power. The 4 speed makes it fun to drive. Half ton is a good compromise between ride quality and payload.

Very reliable truck. Good on fuel too. This week I made it double it's previous fuel economy, so it's cheaper to drive now.

So I'd like a 2010 F-150 Super cab, long box, 4x4 in white. Give me the 5.4 and a 5 speed stick. Six speed if youre feeling generous. Make it an XLT so I get the nice grille and comfy seats. Please delete the power windows and give me a crank. Delete the power locks and mirrors while you're at it. All I need is a keyhole on the lassenger side door, and once my mirrors are set I leave them be.

Since I'm dreaming get rid of that hydraulic clutch and give me a cable/mechanically actuated one with really heavy springs. I'd also like a tach in this one.

So Ford Motor Company, if you could build me this truck new I'd be much obliged.

100_0128.jpg

Manulas are no more in the F-150 and soon to be F-250/F-350. The only 2011 truck with a manual will the be the Ranger.

Stick shift is dying. Heck my 09 F-650 has an automatic in it. Which threw me for a loop. All the dump spec XLT's were automatic. If I wanted a stick it would have to be special order, an XL, or a crane spec chassis.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Bob, i got a truck just like that, 95 xlt...
But its power windows and seats...
Love my truck and i see my self keeping it for a very long time as well...
Got the captains seats, but also has the fold down bench in the back, with the steel cargo area so you can haul stuff in cab... :)

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I have not seen a raptor in crewcab only in the supercab.

I like this Platinum.
LINK

Drew Ford is my dealership of choice. I spoke with my friend/fleet manager today and he said he is working on a municipal deal that his boss (Bill Drew/Owner) has told him he WILL get. He has been with the dealership some 25 years or so. He is a man of his word and a straight shooter to boot.

said he'll get back to me sometime next week...I'm just a bit excited hoping something will work out.

Last edited:

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
well damn Goose I looked right over that pic...'smiliedoh' 'smiliedoh' 'smiliedoh' 'smiliedoh'

The color scheme is not my first choice but for the right price...

for me it really does come down to the bottom line. Almost everything else is negotiable.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts