Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hunting/Fishing/Camping Rig

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Scott , i like Tony's idea of a Inverter in your truck , they come in many sizes and power ratings , as long as the truck stays running you can A/C power to run whatever you want , generators can get expensive for the quiet ones.
From what I know there is two ways to run a dual battery setup, this thread here offers the best way :
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cars/msg100134052806.html
and this is a isolator you can use:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200343388_200343388

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. Keep them coming.

I think I'm going to go with the receiver hitch first and then go from there. Not sure what I'll do after that. Lot of good ideas though.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Was also thinking about a navigation system or GPS. I can add on a navigation system to my Kenwood head unit but it's a little pricey.

Any ideas on GPS or Nav?

What about a CB, nothing fancy just something to get the job done.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Was also thinking about a navigation system or GPS. I can add on a navigation system to my Kenwood head unit but it's a little pricey.

Any ideas on GPS or Nav?

What about a CB, nothing fancy just something to get the job done.

As I posted above ;) spend the 5 to 6 bills and get a TomTom 710. Some of the best money I've spent. It's a bluetooth handsfree, nav system, mp3 player, the works. AND it can give you a lat an long on not only YOUR position, but the position of where you're GOING, so if you DO happen to get lost in the wilderness, and need some help, you can get on the phone and give them your exact posit, rather than "I dunno".

According to consumer reports, the Tomtoms are the best nav systems going right now.

I won't leave the house without mine.

Gunner

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
As I posted above ;) spend the 5 to 6 bills and get a TomTom 710. Some of the best money I've spent. It's a bluetooth handsfree, nav system, mp3 player, the works. AND it can give you a lat an long on not only YOUR position, but the position of where you're GOING, so if you DO happen to get lost in the wilderness, and need some help, you can get on the phone and give them your exact posit, rather than "I dunno".

According to consumer reports, the Tomtoms are the best nav systems going right now.

I won't leave the house without mine.

Gunner

Does it require any kind of subscription or anything (like satellite radio does). Looks like you can carry it with you anywhere or move to another car so I assume that you don't have to do anykind of install. Any accessories you would recommend?

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Does it require any kind of subscription or anything (like satellite radio does). Looks like you can carry it with you anywhere or move to another car so I assume that you don't have to do anykind of install. Any accessories you would recommend?

You CAN subscribe to their traffic information services, that come over your internet connection over your cell phone, and it blue tooths it to your Tomtom, but I don't use that.

But it is GPS based, so no there are no REQUIRED subscription services to run these. Just turn it on and away you go. Doesn't cost a thing to run :)

Gunner

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
going to revive this old thread.

I actually have an inverter. I think my father in-law gave it to me. Found it while unpacking the garage stuff after the move. This is the one he gave me:

http://www.invertersrus.com/vec024b.html

Here's my question. Will it be of any use? Should I hard wire it or just throw it in the truck and pull it out when/if it's needed?

Is this what you guys were suggesting or something bigger?

A 400 watt inverter will only run up to 3.25 amps. Take something like a drill might be 3.50 amps so your inverter wouldn't run it.
If you look at an appliance or motor it will give you how many amps it takes to run it, Multiply the amps buy the volts (110) this = watts.

I run a 2300 watt and it does quite a bit, from refrigerators to small pancake compressor

I use mine to charge cellphone and camcorder batteries.
Read the owners manual for the batteries your going to charge, some can't be charged on an inverter due to the cycle or wave length of the AC voltage produced. Dewalts are not supposed to be charged on them.
I'm not sure how all that works but Duncan probably does.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Ok, Had to Do it after seeing the UniMog and the M1A1
Welcome to The Light Armored Vehicle. 8 Wheels, All Time 4WD, Plenty of power for accesories (minor mods may be needed) Plenty of space to sleep. Hitch is already installed, and comes with a 25mm Bushmaster Cannon to deal with pesky neighbors, annoying campers, and road rage idiots! Oh yea, It's Amphibious Too!!!

Last edited:

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Ok, seriously, For a winch setup, I would look at incorporating a reciever into the Front grill, with a custom mount for the Winch. Ain't hard to set up, and if you need to pull one way or the other, your already set up.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
A 400 watt inverter will only run up to 3.25 amps. Take something like a drill might be 3.50 amps so your inverter wouldn't run it.
If you look at an appliance or motor it will give you how many amps it takes to run it, Multiply the amps buy the volts (110) this = watts.

I run a 2300 watt and it does quite a bit, from refrigerators to small pancake compressor

I use mine to charge cellphone and camcorder batteries.

You guys have pics of your setup?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
A CB with full portability that is inexpensive and still a good radio is a must.....you could look at this one if you don't want to drill holes.
http://www.fitsmybudget.com/product.php?productid=25380&cat=715&page=1

On the toolbaox note...one with a rack mounted to the lid is a good thing.....it would enable you to haul coolers and whatnot without the added worry of them sliding off, plus it gives you attaching points.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicl...sover-with-rsl-lid-lid-rail-truck-box-1091703

A GPS with tapographical capabilities would also be a must...a handheld Magellan would probably be perfect. Also, Thermacells work great and are excellent for hunting if you've got a bug problem.....
http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/scripts/thermacell.asp

Lighting is a big issue but nobody wants to mount lights all over their DD so, you need something in that department that is easily mobile and removable....Something like this could work well.
http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/pro...l_searchlight_spotlight_for_vehicle_ship.html

Also, under the rail truck bed lights would be nice in lower light or darkness conditions....

Kevsha

hackin' 'n' whackin'
Hey heres a cool thread. i have a similar truck and king of plan on doind somthing similar.

From my experience these trucks are EXELENT off the road in stock trim. i have taken mine in stock trim to Rausch creek off-road park and drove the same trails jeeps and FJ's were getting stuck and i drove right around them. just last week i was in the outter banks NC and spent a week driving on the beach, again truck still in stock trim drove over the deep powder sand with no trouble, aired the tires down to 22psi which was still high enough that i was able to keep them that way all week and still drive on the street.

my suggestions for your truck, which are also my plans:

get the 2.5" leveling kit to give you a bit more clearence, in REALLY deep sand the front end can plow and on a rocky trail your cross members are the low point

cap or tonnue cover. i recently purchased the premium ford rollup tonneau cover. looks like this one and it is of a superb quality and does a pretty good job of keeping the bed dry

Bed carpet. ford makes a great one that is an outdoor carpet that you can hose down and does not obsorb water. it also fills in the ridges in the bed, making it nice and flat (a plus if you want to sleep in it)

with the leveling kit you can fit some bigger tires on there, depending on the type of off-roading you do would dictate the tires you pick

a grill/brush gaurd. WAAG makes a nice one that is a 3 piece with removable light covers. they also make a "front runner" that covers just the front buper =and a matching rear bumper gaurd.

A set of descent off-road lights. two could be mounted on the affore mentioned grill gaurd and are a nice suppliment to headlights when not on the road.

as for things to bring, a portible compressor is a must. i have a great one that i won in a carshow like 6 years ago at a home depot. it can be charged from a home wall socket or from a 12v socket on the car, it also has a 12 power point on it to charge a cell phone or other small electronig device. it fills the tires fairlt quicklly for being so small and has multiple attatchment for different air fittings. this is the closes picture i found of it

Air-Compressor-to-Suit-4-x-4-4WD-Portable-Off-Road-38082_image.jpg

make sure you have some heavy duty tow straps and a reciever shacke for them.

one of these might be cool too http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/Softopper.htm

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts