Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to test a PIP Sensor.

To use the tester you unplug the TFI Plug going into the Ignition Harness and coil, computer and so on.
You then plug in the tester, hook it to the + post of the battery and crank the engine and watch the LED’s.

So there will be no large voltage spikes on the TIF (TACH) LED.

I do not have the TFI/PIP tester that Ford uses (the 105-00002) but I would think it would be wired about the same as the above diagram.

Here is a Photo of that tester stolen from ECO.

TFI-IV_Ignition_Tester_105-00002.jpg

/

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
To use the tester you unplug the TFI Plug going into the Ignition Harness and coil, computer and so on.
You then plug in the tester, hook it to the + post of the battery and crank the engine and watch the LED’s.

So there will be no large voltage spikes on the TIF (TACH) LED.

I do not have the TFI/PIP tester that Ford uses (the 105-00002) but I would think it would be wired about the same as the above diagram.

Here is a Photo of that tester stolen from ECO.

TFI-IV_Ignition_Tester_105-00002.jpg

/

Oh, ok, I agree Bill!! What confused me was the "coil" connection....This is the TIF termninal driving the coil......

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Now, how much do they get for that Rotunda tester? Nearly nothing for a wire harness, $5 for the components from Radio Shack. Possibly $15 total in parts. Bet that tester from Rotunda is at least $100. I'd never seen one. Wait a minute. Were you baiting me? LOL.

Now, how much do they get for that Rotunda tester? Nearly nothing for a wire harness, $5 for the components from Radio Shack. Possibly $15 total in parts. Bet that tester from Rotunda is at least $100. I'd never seen one. Wait a minute. Were you baiting me? LOL.

I paid about 30 dollars for mine. I got it at an auction and from the looks of it, it was never used. It was in the original box with paper work and the electrical connector still had the factory grease on it. I have no idea what it went for back in the day, but ANYTHING with the Rotunda name sells for a fortune if you buy new retail.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Yeah, I looked at some Rotunda tools for the M5OD. Only briefly, though, because I gasped and fainted when I saw the price. Coulda darn near bought a rebuilt M5 for the price of the tools.

Next time you're playing at your workbench, turn the dizzy VERY slowly, and see if the spark tester doesn't fire twice, once as the vane passes in front of the PIP, and again as it clears the PIP.
I turned the dizzy VERY slowly and it would spark when the vane just reached the Hall effect device. No it did not spark again when it cleared the Hall effect device. Just one spark per vane.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts