Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HOW TO TELL??? (need fast responce)

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
I am looking at a 1994 f250 diesel 4x4 manual trans. How can i tell if its a "turbo" diesel without actually looking at the truck. I have the pictures of the truck is there anyway i can tell without seeing the motor? Could i use the VIN to tell if it is or not??

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I guess I'm not understanding the question. In '94, wasn't there a turbo-diesel and then the Powerstroke?

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Nope there was the 7.3l IDI witch was NOT turbocharged and like half way through 94 they switched over to the 7.3l powerstroke which was the turbocharged diesel.

not without seeing the door tag or seeing under the hood

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
OPPS!! made a mistake the 7.3L from 93-94 is turbocharged! I am sorry for corrrecting you when i was wrong now i feel really dumb lol!

So I will be getting a pic of the motor tomorrow hopefully one of you can teel me if its the IDI or the powerstroke!

Fellro

Staff member
Most if not all 94's were turbo'd, while it was an option in 93. All the VIN will do is distinguish between a Stroker and an IDI.
If you can see visible injection lines, it is an IDI, they come to the inside of the valve covers. A Stroker will have no visible fuel lines.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
In 94 they offered three engines:

1) non-turbo IDI 7.3L
2) turbo IDI 7.3L
3) powerstroke (turbo) 7.3L

The switched from IDI to Powerstroke halfway through the year.

Michigan
I looked at a 94 F350 that was turbocharged but not computer controlled..

Michigan
I knew you was going to say that.... lol

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
In 94 they offered three engines:

1) non-turbo IDI 7.3L
2) turbo IDI 7.3L
3) powerstroke (turbo) 7.3L

The switched from IDI to Powerstroke halfway through the year.

I have been wrong before, mind you, but I thought the Turbo IDI came out in late '93, and the PSD replaced it in mid-year '94. I remember there were a lot of pizzed owners that bought the Turbo'd IDI, then were looking at a PSD not long after.

Michigan
94 and a half is when they went to computer controlled or aka Powerstroke.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I have been wrong before, mind you, but I thought the Turbo IDI came out in late '93, and the PSD replaced it in mid-year '94. I remember there were a lot of pizzed owners that bought the Turbo'd IDI, then were looking at a PSD not long after.
You're absolutely correct. The 7.3L IDI was offered through ~94.5, and after ~93 they offered it with a turbo option. At 94.5 they replaced the IDI with the PSD. So count the engines-- a 94 Ford could have had any of those three engines, depending on when it was manufactured and (if in the earlier half) whether or not the buyer wanted the turbo YelloThumbUp

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
with a good picture (good angle) you will be able to tell its a Tubro diesel. Otherwise your screwed.
on most of 7.3's there pretty far up the passenger side of the engine IIRC.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts