Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How to read 77 temp gage?

Just bought a 77 f150. I have attached a pic of the temp gage. Can anyone tell me approximately the temp that is showing? The 1st thousand miles I drove the truck it was steady at 1/4 to1/3 inch hotter than the pic. It just started running cooler for some reason. Just want to get a reference so I know whether it is running too cool now or too hot beforeImageUploadedByTapatalk1377800149.903237.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thank you sir. My guess is the truck had been parked for a while. The tstat might not have been opening much. Think I will replace it anyway

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
When you buy a new thermostat always test it before putting on.. Put a pot of water on the stove and heat it up and make sure the thermostat opens at the temp it's supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
True, but the stock gauges do work.

Chris is right though, its not a bad idea to test before you install. When your thermometer in your pot of water shows 190 or whatever, you should see the thermostat opening... Then you know it's good.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Also, make sure you get the RIGHT thermostat. If it is a 351m/400, parts houses will sell you a thermostat for the engine, but it is generally NOT the right application. Got to flowkooler.com to get the correct thermostat for your truck. They are spendy, but well worth it.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I've gotten the wrong thermostat from the dealer before, too. The key is to know what the thermostat looks like. I ordered one for a 351M/400 and got one for a 351W. You need to have one that will close off the internal bypass when it opens.

Good advice. I had a failsafe lock completely open on a Cherokee........two in a row. Third time was the charm. That's when I decided to send the extra ten bucks and buy from the dealer. The Cherokee would never approach operating temp

Use a candy thermometer in the boiling water.

Make the t-stat is 180* or hotter.......192* or 195* is recommended.
Because the gauge readings are determined by ground out vs 5 volt pulse...any type of corrosion on the S/U,gauge connection areas will alter gauge readings.
Usually showing a lower reading than normal.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Thats where mine runs when warmed up...

Fellro

Staff member
Good advice. I had a failsafe lock completely open on a Cherokee........two in a row. Third time was the charm. That's when I decided to send the extra ten bucks and buy from the dealer. The Cherokee would never approach operating temp

That is essentially the selling point on the Fail Safes... they are designed to lock open if (when) they fail. I will agree it is better than sticking closed, but at the rate of failure you were seeing, hardly makes them a good deal.

Ford Truck Articles