Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How Many 6.0L Motors over 100,000 miles????

Kep4

Jäger
I'm not defending the guy, but he is (apparently) a Ford Diesel Technician. Seems he's frustrated with 6.0 issues.

I certainly don't want to see this forum turned into a 6.0 bashfest, nothing good comes from that. I do appreciate most input from 6.0 owners and 6.0 Technicians, even if it's not positive. Sometimes the opinions are rather dramatic though, including the 'piece of crap' comment. There's no need for that.

I'm curious about the block warping, cracking or getting holes in it comment.

I know you 'ventilated' your block, but that's got nothing to do with the Navistar design or Ford add-on's. :)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I'm not defending the guy, but he is (apparently) a Ford Diesel Technician. Seems he's frustrated with 6.0 issues.
That doesn't make them ALL a POS and it doesn't give him the right to slam it like that either.

I certainly don't want to see this forum turned into a 6.0 bashfest, nothing good comes from that. I do appreciate most input from 6.0 owners and 6.0 Technicians, even if it's not positive. Sometimes the opinions are rather dramatic though, including the 'piece of crap' comment. There's no need for that.
Exactly!

I'm curious about the block warping, cracking or getting holes in it comment. I know you 'ventilated' your block, but that's got nothing to do with the Navistar design or Ford add-on's. :)
I'm a bit curious about the "head bolts through aluminum rocker boxes" comment. He says that the 6.4L is "the best" diesel engine ever. I thought the heads were of the same basic design, but added more bolts. So I thought they were still aluminum rocker boxes. Also, I think it's aweful early to tell if there are any real problems yet.

blacksnapon

Staff member
There has been issues with cavitation from coolant turning somewhat acidic. That however is also a regional thing. Some folks have actually had numerous problems with the 6.0. Talking with engineers, it has mostly been on the outer fringes of the states (east coast in particular) Why.....I don't know. When you have been buried in them from the outset, it can make you bitter toward them.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
There has been issues with cavitation from coolant turning somewhat acidic. That however is also a regional thing. Some folks have actually had numerous problems with the 6.0. Talking with engineers, it has mostly been on the outer fringes of the states (east coast in particular) Why.....I don't know. When you have been buried in them from the outset, it can make you bitter toward them.
While I can understand that in relation to my work and the way that I feel about certain things, I do not let that out towards others in a way like that. It kinda like telling a guy that HE'S stupid for buying that $50K truck. I take it as an insult. It's NOT right. It caused me to leave FTE for the most part as I only visit there now for the Missouri Chapter to tease with Terry, and it could very well give me a sour taste for here very quickly as well.

Kep4

Jäger
Don't let it bug you! Chebby boys blowin' smoke all these years has also been frustrating for me, but sometimes it provides a great laugh. Try to let it roll off your back, life's too short to stress about a website.

I believe that as these 6.0's pile on the miles and get well past the 100K mark, we'll benefit greatly from the 6.0 Tech's who are kind enough to help us out on sites like this.

Blackhat, bowtiehatr, blacksnapon, etc. (PLEASE accept my apology for those who I cannot recall at this moment) You guys are the best and are truly appreciated here. :cooldude:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Blackhat, bowtiehatr, blacksnapon, etc. (PLEASE accept my apology for those who I cannot recall at this moment) You guys are the best and are truly appreciated here. :cooldude:
I'll second that one brother!!smiliewhathesaid You guys are VERY appreciated!!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
own a 6.0 just drive it like you stole it , not like a soccer mom! and it will treat you good
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ah, you haven't read about mine, have you? ROFL Look in the 6.0 forum for "Carnage Pictures". I love the 6.0, but if you're going to mod it at all, you had better do alot of research. I know where I went wrong and will be back with a bad 6.0 one day, but I gotta many bills to pay off before I can start on it again.

BTW- Since the spare engine went in and all the performance stuff gone except the intake and exhaust, I still drive it like I stole it. :) Even better, when I get stopped, I usually get a warning because we get to talking about what she's done in the past and the cops just LOVE it. :) Got a warning on Wednesday for 17 over.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Even better, when I get stopped, I usually get a warning because we get to talking about what she's done in the past and the cops just LOVE it.

:) Got a warning on Wednesday for 17 over.

Was that 17 over, or she was only 17!!!!!!

I wish!! Nope, it was for 17MPH over.
17 over and for breaking a restraining order the track put on you after littering it... You're not supposed to go within two states of it.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Well I've got about 65K on my 06 F250 PSD. I figure I ought to be over 100K by about next September...........

Gunner

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
17 over and for breaking a restraining order the track put on you after littering it... You're not supposed to go within two states of it.
They'd NEVER do that to me. :p I pull my buddies drag car down for them, and he pays them alot of money for the honor of running there. lol

Also, I didn't litter there, I littered at a competitors parking lot down the street! ROFLMAO AND, I wasn't even driving when she came apart.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Which time?
When the LPOP failed, it didn't break the block or loose anything. It was only after we got it back together and it came totally apart that it left oil EVERYWHERE! lol It's amazing how big a puddle four gallons will leave.

fordsmt2000

Certified Ford Tech
An '03 F450 that belongs to a delivery company comes in routinely at the dealership where I work. At last count it had 296,000 miles and sees about5000 miles a month. I put heads on this truck at about 150,000 mi. and an oil cooler at 200,000 but everything else has been pretty minor.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The most mileage I'd seen on one was the 04 E350 Dept of corrections van with 665,000 on it. He went into a ditch and tore off the oil filter.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Not to the 100k mark yet, but have knocked down 81k, more than 30k of that with a modified version of the ultra comp file from Matt..........................."The truth about tuners", simple, they are fun.smiliegitrdone

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I am at 116,600 miles and all is well.

I am due for an oil and filter change and by-pass oil change at 117,100 miles... sure hope the weather warms up a bit!!

I have had more problems with replacing my rear back-up sensors than I have had with the rest of ther truck.

Dam Ford.... I'll never buy another Ford truck for the rest of my life due to those darn back-up sensors... don't they know how to build a truck.

Sure hope I can get Ford to replace them due to my high-performance back-up sensors I have been using. Got these aftermarket ones that gave me more mileage and power... I could sense an object behind me at 50 yards!!!!! Why can't Ford do that???

Hopefully, I can disconnect and pull a fast one over my local Ford diesel tech. Heck, I have 116,600 miles on them and they failed!!!!!

Now... I hope for you new guys out there reading this, that you know this is all tounge and cheek... had this been an actual problem, I would have posted over at FTE since this is where warrenty swindling people hang out!!! 'biteme'

Your friend in Kansas City,

Beachbumcook

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
116,970 Miles - All Is Well!!!!

Changed my oil last weekend and did a Blackstone oil analysis report (had not done a Blackstone report since 101,627 miles as has been working well). I do not believe in extended oil drains due to the viscosity shearing of all oils in the 6.0L motor and the delicate nature that clean oil offers to ensure properly working injectors.

What I did like, was seeing my fuel dilution drop from 1.0% to <0.5. What I find amazing is that through the winter months, my truck idles a little more to ensure it is warmed up before I drive off in the morning and when I re-start after it has cooled down during the day.

Here is a quick recap of what I use:

1) Racor by-pass oil filter (reports are just as good with or without it and only a slight improvment - but it was given to me to try and use at no-charge).

2) Motorcraft 15W-40 until 50,000 miles then Rotella-Syn 5W-40 since then and use year-round.

3) I change my oil and full-flow filter every 5,000 miles (due to low viscosity and shearing of oil in the 6.0L motor).

4) I change my Racor by-pass filter every other oil change (saves money on filters).

5) I only use Racor or Motorcraft filters (Racor makes Motorcraft).

Here are the results & comments from Blackstone at 116,970 miles:

JEFF: No fuel dilution was found in the latest sample from your 6.0L. Wear looks great in this sample and the low and steady wear trends are a good sign that you've got normally wearing parts at work inside your engine. If a problem should ever develop it will stick out like a sore thumb. Only a slightly low viscosity kept this from being a perfect report but that's common to this engine model and isn't a problem. No harmful contaminants were found. You've got a very nicely wearing engine and at 116,970 miles we have no problems to report.

Below is my actual Blackstone oil analysis report.

My '03 Excursion is one fine driving and running machine!!! smiliegitrdone

Attachments

• Blackstone Report - 116,970.jpg
Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles