Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How do you take off the tailgate?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I can't figure out how to get the tailgate off these trucks. There's no serious fasteners other than hooking the hinge to the tailgate. I'm swapping my tailgate from my old bed to my new bed. How does this work?

Ryan

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Unhook the hinge cable tilt the tailgate down at a 45 degree angle then pull up and out towards you on the PASSENGER side. There is a notch on the swivel thingy that frees the tailgate at this angle then slide the tailgate towards the PASSENGER side once you get the passenger side hinge free...VOILA!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Let the tailgate down and undo the cables (should be self explanatory), then pull the gate back up to about a 45* angle and pull it straight out perpendicular to the direction that the tailgate is pointing. It's not latched in or anything, should just slide right off the posts on either side.

Whoops Jr beat me to it. Though I'm not sure about the passenger side thing... My brother and I just took his off a couple weeks ago and we both lifted our end at the same time-- slid right off.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
NP dude..also it's the reason why it's so easy for people to steal your tailgate in a parking lot or driveway w/e.....They sell anit theft kits but all you really gotta do is on the passenger side where the hinge releases the gate...throw a big hoseclamp on there and make it a PITA to get to..No one will wanna mess with it then!

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
NP dude..also it's the reason why it's so easy for people to steal your tailgate in a parking lot or driveway w/e.....They sell anit theft kits but all you really gotta do is on the passenger side where the hinge releases the gate...throw a big hoseclamp on there and make it a PITA to get to..No one will wanna mess with it then!

to be honest, I'v never heard of people stealing tailgates, well.. not stock one's anyway. :rotz:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
My buddy did.....off a truck that was sitting on the side of the road for 4 days straight...under the cover of darkness ninja style...i don't agree with it but...

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
My buddy did.....off a truck that was sitting on the side of the road for 4 days straight...under the cover of darkness ninja style...i don't agree with it but...

Somebody who lets their truck for 4 days on the side of the road deserves it IMO. :wasntme:

Surprised the windows and everything weren't broken out..

Heck, they burnt a county tractor up down the valley from me... they was mowing on the side of the road, and just parked it. Came back later.. and it was burnt up :rolling laugh:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
seen cars and trucks like that out in the woods..usually get stripped first..I saw a guy bust the windows out of a ........the ford version of a dodge Omni then shove it into a lake with his jeep...all that was showin was the roof...

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
seen cars and trucks like that out in the woods..usually get stripped first..I saw a guy bust the windows out of a ........the ford version of a dodge Omni then shove it into a lake with his jeep...all that was showin was the roof...

yeah, I'v seen a lot of cars and trucks stripped then burnt... first time i had seen a tractor done that way though!

never seen anybody push vehicles into a lake..

seen people drive into a pond on accident though! :rolling laugh:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Got it pulled, no problem. The hardest part were the torque headed bolts. The things are too shallow to get a very solid grip so the hard part was not stripping out the bolt or the socket I have.

Ryan

Got it pulled, no problem. The hardest part were the torque headed bolts. The things are too shallow to get a very solid grip so the hard part was not stripping out the bolt or the socket I have.

Ryan
wait, did i miss something? why were you taking bolts off to remove the tailgate?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts