Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help with ECM ID

My '89 F-150 has a 351 Windsor (I won't use metric displacement) and a C-6 auto. When I try to pull codes, I get a whole bunch that refer to issues with the E4OD (Codes 56, 67, 91, 92, 93, 94, 99) and two codes for the Thermactor (81, 82). The truck DOES NOT have an E4OD, nor does it have an AIR pump, it is an early 1989 with a C-6. I know the ECM has been changed at least once, and I suspect the wrong box was put in. Can anyone give me the proper ID for the ECM?

It is really hard to track down problems when the computer gives codes for stuff that isn't there, and won't cough up either the continupus code or the KOER codes.

John

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I appreciate your help, but now that I have the ECM codes, how do I translate them to the codes for the part(s) from Autozone/NAPA/O'Reilly's? The codes they all list are such as E8TF-AUA, F9TF-AAB, etc. Unfortunately I am somehow missing how to convert the parts house number into the ECM ID Code given in the Oldfordfuelinjection.com chart. What am I too dense to see?

primetime

sawmill slave
I can`t help you with an ECU to part number break down, but I can tell you that an E8TF ECU is an 88, F9TF is 99. The first letter is decade. D=70`s, E=80`s, F=90`s. The number after equals the year. IE E8 is an 88, F9 is 99.

Your truck would also have been equipped with an AIR pump from the factory, and the corresponding solenoids on the engine by the coil.

Fellro

Staff member
Next problem is getting the right calibration... It sucks when the original has been changed out, and you don't know what should be there. You could try going to the dealer to see if they can find the right calibration by the VIN. It still kinda baffles me how you can swap all the parts, the harness and all, but plug in the wrong computer for the right setup and all heck breaks out... I can even hook up the wrong motor under it, and it still works as long as it was the right configuration...:headbang: [confused]

primetime

sawmill slave
It still kinda baffles me how you can swap all the parts, the harness and all, but plug in the wrong computer for the right setup and all heck breaks out... I can even hook up the wrong motor under it, and it still works as long as it was the right configuration...:headbang: [confused]

PFM is what I always figured. :) Sometimes I just turn the key on a hope and a prayer.:wavey:

Most times you can find what calibration or what code computer you need simply by opening the door. Inside the drivers side door above the build sticker there "might" be a sticker about 1-1/2"x1" that has your cal code.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts