Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help to diagnose problem with the 79

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So as you fellas know, I don't put a lot of miles on either of my dents....I probably put 500 miles on the 79 in the last 2+ years.

I have already put 100 miles or so on it this year. A few weeks ago, I started it up and let it idle.....a few minutes later, I noticed it was off and didn't think anything of it.

A few days later, I started it up and same thing happened, but this time I was hoping to drive it.....I could not get it started again. There was plenty of voltage and it would try to start, just not turn over.

The next day, I started it and it started right up....didn't let it idle, just pumped the gas a few times and headed into town.....just under 2 miles down the road only going about 35-40 mph, it started to bogg down and finally just died and I rolled into a parking lot. I could not get it started again and had to have it towed home.

Just thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone had some thoughts....going to have a mechanic friend look at it later this week.

Thanks in advance!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Not sure but it sure sounds like the ignition box is going south.

Thanks Randy.....is the ignition box something that keeps the truck firing?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Hmmm, sitting and not driving much often causes fuel related issues. Things become gummed up. Even with fuel treatment I have had problems.

Yeah, thanks Roy.....fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel pump, or carburetor?

I just think it's weird that everything seemed to be running just fine a few weeks before and longer, and then all of a sudden it does this.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Should look something like this... Will be on the drivers side fender. Unless you have an aftermarket style ignition on it.

They're like $30-50 if I remember right and it's something you could do yourself in 15 minutes if the connectors on it aren't shot.

378b62eb97d7f9d93ee636aa36952068.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Should look something like this... Will be on the drivers side fender. Unless you have an aftermarket style ignition on it.

They're like $30-50 if I remember right and it's something you could do yourself in 15 minutes if the connectors on it aren't shot.

I agree
I used to carry a spare with me "back in the day" when I still had trucks / cars that used these
seems as the replacement boxes never held up like the OEM ones

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Make sure that you get one that matches the same color grommet that the old one has. Look at the picture that Frank posted. You can just barely see a blue piece of plastic where the wires go into the Duraspark box. I think there is also a box with a yellow grommet. Also some boxes have three connections, some have two. Make sure everything matches up.

Rock Auto has a motorcraft Ignition Control Module(ICM) for $35. There used to be a problem with the modules overheating because they sat flush against the fenderwell, with no room for air circulation. People used to put washers underneath the modules to allow the module to sit up away from the fender well. The newer ones have spacers already built into the module.

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Does it have gas?....:rofl:

Just thought I would throw that at ya!......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No problem....for someone like me, these questions need to be exhausted....I remember one year when taking it out of storage, I couldn't get the darn thing to start and realized that one tank was empty.....it has two tanks. This time, I made sure both tanks had gas in it and switched between the two when trying it this time just in case. One tank has half a tank and the other about 3/8's.

Awesome, thanks.

Make sure that you get one that matches the same color grommet that the old one has. Look at the picture that Frank posted. You can just barely see a blue piece of plastic where the wires go into the Duraspark box. I think there is also a box with a yellow grommet. Also some boxes have three connections, some have two. Make sure everything matches up.

Rock Auto has a motorcraft Ignition Control Module(ICM) for $35. There used to be a problem with the modules overheating because they sat flush against the fenderwell, with no room for air circulation. People used to put washers underneath the modules to allow the module to sit up away from the fender well. The newer ones have spacers already built into the module.

Thanks Doug....I just went out and took pictures....there's 2 of them?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
2016-07-21_06_24_29.jpg

2016-07-21_06_24_52.jpg

2016-07-21_06_25_00.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Yes. I see a blue grommet with two plugs. The MSD is connected to the ICM. I am clueless about the HEI systems. Sorry.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
What number is your msd box?

Hey Randy, is there a number on the box itself? I'll go check it out and see if I can find anything.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
That's a 6al Randy.

Check your grounds......
MSD hates bad grounds

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So, my buddy figured it out and my 79 is back in my yard! It was a faulty wire from the ignition key switch to the ignition box, so all you fellas were on the same page.....glad it was something simple which we all thought it would be....everything on this rig is only a few years old.....anyways...thanks everyone for helping out!!!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Glad you got it back in the yard, Ken.

Thanks Doug!

Great to hear you got it back up and running.

Thanks Randy....feels good having it in the yard and knowing I can jump in it at any time and run it!

I hate it when the mechanical confidence isn't there....but now I feel good about it again.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts