Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

headers/purple hornies

I just bought a set of flowtech/Holley headers for my 78 f250 4x4 with 400 engine. My question was, is it possibly to run the purple hornie header mufflers directly off my headers and then run a lil exhaust pipe at the end of the mufflers and turn them down? I have a c6 and a 203 t-case if that makes any difference. I didnt know if there would be things in the way of doing this or if any of you had done this?

I'm just wanting to buy and have the things i need on hand before i start puttin on the headers as I drive my truck quite a bit.

also, whats the best spray can coating or paint to put on the headers? the headers are new, but figure the factory paint wont last and have heard that the ceramic spray helps with heat in the engine bay.

Thanks in Advance,

EvansmilieFordlogo

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
I see no reason you can't add pipes behind the mufflers, just make sure to keep some flexibility in the pipes so they aren't held too hard, so as to avoid breaking the headers. You also must support them to avoid overloading and breaking the headers... kind of a fine balance...lol

If you are going to add paint to the headers, you will want to blast them clean and then repaint, as the crappy factory paint will still let the paint you add flake off just the same. I don't know about the ceramic paint helping with heat, the ceramic coated headers are done a little differently.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I dunno what lengths you need to deal with, but turn downs are definitely possible to do. On my Bronco, I turn out where you will probably want to turn down and there's about a 1/2" of clearance...but I have a 205.

As for paint...I hear standard BBQ paint works better than most other off the shelf paints available.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
depending on which purple horny you buy, they are already turned down for you.

I see no reason you can't add pipes behind the mufflers, just make sure to keep some flexibility in the pipes so they aren't held too hard, so as to avoid breaking the headers. You also must support them to avoid overloading and breaking the headers... kind of a fine balance...lol

If you are going to add paint to the headers, you will want to blast them clean and then repaint, as the crappy factory paint will still let the paint you add flake off just the same. I don't know about the ceramic paint helping with heat, the ceramic coated headers are done a little differently.

Ok, I will probably do the purple hornies then. My worry was were the hornies gonna run into the crossmember or end up in a decent place? I think the purp hornies are about 2 ft long, so I will prob need 3 ft of pipe after the mufflers on each side.

As for the balance, I believe that one. I would think 3 exhaust hangers on each side would be adequite?

depending on which purple horny you buy, they are already turned down for you.

Yes, they do have turn dwn ones, but I think I'd want the exhaust ran a lil farther than just under the cab.

I dunno what lengths you need to deal with, but turn downs are definitely possible to do. On my Bronco, I turn out where you will probably want to turn down and there's about a 1/2" of clearance...but I have a 205.

As for paint...I hear standard BBQ paint works better than most other off the shelf paints available.

Yes, your bronco turn out is about where I'm wantin to turn down.

hmm...never thought of bbq paint. Do they make anything other than black? I assume menards and places like that would make a bunch of this in stock?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
hmm...never thought of bbq paint. Do they make anything other than black? I assume menards and places like that would make a bunch of this in stock?

I know Krylon has Black, red and 'aluminum'. I'd imagine this would be available anywhere that has a good selection of rattlecan paints.

Fellro

Staff member
I think it is on the shelf at Autozone, likely available at the other box stores as well...

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
You don't need three hangers on each side. I have dials with cherry bombs that exit before the rear tires with one hanger holding each one. I have no problems.

Fellro

Staff member
Definitely not three, unless you were going behind the axle. The header needs to be able to move, so don't really need one right at the header, after the muffler would be good. If you are doing a turn down about the t-case, no more than one needed. Turn outs at the front of the axle, two wouldn't be a bad idea.

Ok, i will run 2 and let you now if i have any problems when i start the process

thanks guys

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
so, with the headers installed, while the purple hornies that im going to install go under the x-member or through it? I suppose either way would be ok, just curious. lol

Ford Truck Articles